Why Does Line Current Equal Effective Current in Polyphase Circuits?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Imposta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion and difficulty in understanding certain parts of a question related to line voltage and current. The speaker is unsure why line current equals effective current and line voltage equals effective voltage. They are also questioning the equation V(an) = V(aA) + V(AN) and whether the problem is impossible. The conversation also mentions the use of apparent power and the effects of line resistance on finding the line current.
Imposta
I'm having some trouble understanding some parts of this question

attachment.php?attachmentid=24365&stc=1&d=1268534658.jpg

This is what I've been doing but I'm not quite sure why it works:

attachment.php?attachmentid=24366&stc=1&d=1268534658.jpg

I have some similar problems and have been getting the same problems with them. I don't know why the line current equals I(eff) and line voltage equals V(eff). Also why does V(an) = V(aA)+V(AN).

Attachments

• question.jpg
    question.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 390
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 415
Physics news on Phys.org
Am I missing something, or is this problem impossible? You're given the line to line voltage at a point after the wire resistance, and the power given includes the load and the wire resistance. After you convert your line to line voltage to a line to neutral voltage, you have a voltage over the load, but you cannot use it to find the line current because of the inclusion of the line resistance in that apparent power given.

For example, you use [tex]S_{AN}[/tex] when the given was actually [tex]S_{AN} + S_{aA}[/tex]

Just think about it: you found the total wire resistance dissipated 1kW of energy, but you are ignoring its effects (which seem to be massive) when you found the line current by assuming it accounted for none of the total load's apparent power.

it would actually be:
[tex] 1333 + j1000 = (V_{AN} + V_{aA}) I^*[/tex]

and we don't know VaA...

1. What is a polyphase circuit?

A polyphase circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of multiple alternating current (AC) sources, usually three, that are out of phase with each other. This type of circuit is commonly used in power systems, such as three-phase power systems, to improve efficiency and power distribution.

2. How do I calculate the total power in a polyphase circuit?

The total power in a polyphase circuit can be calculated by finding the sum of the individual power in each phase. This can be done by using the formula P = VIcosφ, where P is power, V is voltage, I is current, and φ is the phase angle difference between voltage and current.

3. What is the purpose of a polyphase circuit?

The main purpose of a polyphase circuit is to improve power distribution and efficiency. By using multiple AC sources that are out of phase, the power can be distributed more evenly and with less power loss compared to a single-phase circuit.

4. How does a polyphase circuit differ from a single-phase circuit?

A polyphase circuit differs from a single-phase circuit in that it has multiple AC sources that are out of phase with each other, while a single-phase circuit has only one AC source. Additionally, polyphase circuits are commonly used in power systems, while single-phase circuits are more commonly used in household and smaller electrical systems.

5. How do I troubleshoot a polyphase circuit?

To troubleshoot a polyphase circuit, you should first check for any loose connections or damaged components. You can also use a multimeter to check the voltage and current in each phase to ensure they are within the expected range. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to consult a professional electrician or engineer for further assistance.