Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with power series solution

1. Nov 2, 2003 #1
    I've done a power series solution to a differential equation and got the recursive formula for the coefficients below. Now I am to evaluate it for large j and I don't get the answer in the book.

I'm not sure what method they are using to get the answer although their answer makes sense physically.

a j+1 = aj * 2 * {(j + L + 1) - k }/ ( {j+1}(j + 2L + 2) )

where L and k are constants and j is just an integer index number.

If I consider large j I would say
    aj+1 approx. aj * 2 (j) / ( j * j) = aj * 2/j

If I say j => infinity and use l'Hopital's rule I get

aj+1 = aj * 2 / (2j + 2L + 3) approx. aj * 1/j

The book gets

aj+1 approx. aj * 2j / ( j*(j+1))

What rules are they applying to get this?

(of course a j+1 means aj+1 and aj means aj )
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Essentially, they are ignoring terms "small" compared with the very large j: in this case that's just about everything that doesn't involve j.

I must admit that I don't understand why they include the "+1" in "j+1" in the denominator. If j is large, then 1 is certainly small compared with it. Also, there is no reason not to cancel the js in the numerator and denominator.

If j= 10000, say, then 2j/(j(j+1))= 20000/(10000*10001)= 20000/100100= 0.00019998 while 2/(j+1)= 2/(10001)= 0.00019998- exactly the same thing and 2/j= 2/10000= 0.0002.

Your use of L'Hopital's rule IS incorrect. Your first result of
    aj * 2 (j) / ( j * j) = aj * 2/j is good.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?