Powering Motor w/ Microprocessor Signal: Help!

• Thread starter TheCoolBrian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary: If it's not a stepper motor, then you may need to look into pulsewidth modulation (PWM) or direct current (DC) controllers.
TheCoolBrian
Help With power stuff?

ok let's say I want to power a motor and I programed a microprocessor to do so but when you send the signal from the microprocessor to the motor I know it won't be enough energy. How would I make the motor activate when it gets a signal from the microprocessor so in other words how do I use a signal from the microprocessor to complete a power connection from direct power to the motor.

Sorry I,am new and I don't know if I really explained this right

Engineering news on Phys.org

Would I use a Transistor for something like this?

TheCoolBrian said:
ok let's say I want to power a motor and I programed a microprocessor to do so but when you send the signal from the microprocessor to the motor I know it won't be enough energy. How would I make the motor activate when it gets a signal from the microprocessor so in other words how do I use a signal from the microprocessor to complete a power connection from direct power to the motor.

Sorry I,am new and I don't know if I really explained this right

http://www.arrickrobotics.com/highload.html

I'd use a PLC to send the signal to a motor controller instead.

CS

You haven't told us nearly enough information. What kind of motor is it?

- Warren

Thanks for the helps guys

As has been mentioned, you would typically use a motor controller for this task. Which type of controller depends on which type of motor, and what you need it to do. You may not even need a microcontroller/microprocessor, depending on the application. If it's a custom motor, you may need to design a corresponding custom controller.

Hopefully it's a stepper motor; those are the most fun to program, and have the neatest controllers.

1. How does a microprocessor signal power a motor?

A microprocessor signal is a digital signal that can be used to control various devices, including motors. The signal is sent from the microprocessor to a motor driver, which converts it into a voltage and current that can power the motor.

2. What type of motor can be powered by a microprocessor signal?

A microprocessor signal can be used to power various types of motors, including DC motors, stepper motors, and servo motors. The specific type of motor will depend on the requirements of the project or application.

3. Can a microprocessor power multiple motors at once?

Yes, a microprocessor can power multiple motors at once by sending signals to multiple motor drivers. This allows for more complex and precise control over multiple motors in a system.

4. Are there any limitations to using a microprocessor to power a motor?

One limitation of using a microprocessor signal to power a motor is the amount of current and voltage the signal can provide. Depending on the size and power requirements of the motor, additional external power sources may be needed.

5. How do I troubleshoot if the motor is not responding to the microprocessor signal?

If the motor is not responding to the microprocessor signal, there could be a few potential issues. Check to make sure that the motor driver is properly connected and receiving the signal. Also, ensure that the power supply is sufficient for the motor's requirements. If the issue persists, check for any errors in the code or consider consulting a technical expert for assistance.