Help with problem on dispersion

• Thread starter lilmul123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dispersion
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of dispersion in transparent materials and its impact on fiber-optic communications systems. It then poses a problem involving the travel time difference of two pulses of light with different wavelengths in a silicate crown glass fiber. The use of Snell's Law is suggested, but the individual is unsure of how to apply the given n values.
lilmul123

Homework Statement

In many transparent materials, dispersion causes different colors (wavelengths) of light to travel at different speeds. This can cause problems in fiber-optic communications systems where pulses of light must travel very long distances in glass. Assuming a fiber is made of silicate crown glass (see figure below), calculate the difference in travel times that two short pulses of light take to travel 17.8 km in the fiber if the first pulse has a wavelength of 700 nm and the second pulse has a wavelength of 500 nm.

So far, I know that n at 500nm is 1.51, and n at 700nm is 1.5. I don't know what to do from here. I believe I have to use the speed of light somehow, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do with these n values. The only equation I really have is Snell's Law, but I'm not sure how these will help me solve the problem because I will only get some angle that won't really tell me anything about a length or anything. Can anyone give me a nudge?

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations Snell's Law: n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2The Attempt at a SolutionI don't really have an attempt because I don't know what to do with the n values that I have.

1. What is dispersion?

Dispersion refers to the phenomenon where different wavelengths of light are separated as they pass through a medium. This can also occur with other types of waves, such as sound waves, and is caused by the varying speeds at which different wavelengths travel.

2. What causes dispersion?

Dispersion is caused by the interaction of waves with matter, specifically the differences in speed at which different wavelengths of waves travel through a medium. This can be caused by factors such as the medium's density, temperature, and composition.

3. How does dispersion affect the appearance of objects?

Dispersion can affect the appearance of objects by causing them to appear to have different colors or to have distorted shapes. This is because the separated wavelengths of light can create a rainbow-like effect or alter the path of the waves, resulting in a distorted image.

4. What are some real-world examples of dispersion?

Dispersion can be seen in many everyday objects and phenomena. For example, it is what causes rainbows to appear in the sky, why a prism separates white light into different colors, and why objects appear to "wobble" in hot air above a fire.

5. How is dispersion used in science and technology?

Dispersion is utilized in various scientific and technological applications. For instance, spectroscopy uses dispersion to analyze the composition of substances based on the wavelengths of light they absorb. Fiber optics also rely on dispersion to transmit information through pulses of light. Additionally, dispersion is used in the creation of lenses and prisms for telescopes and microscopes.