Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with products of reactions

1. Mar 22, 2005 #1
    Hello; thank you in advance for anyone who would like to help:
    I am looking for the products of these reactions:

ZnSO4 + NaClO -->
    I thought it was just a double displacement, which would make my reaction equation:
    Zn(ClO)2 + Na2SO4
    but a test with silver nitrate was positive for Cl- ions, so that has to be somewhere in the products. Is it possible that the ClO oxidizes the sulfate or something; i know that sulfite becomes oxidized to sulfate, but I am kind of stuck.

what happens when manganese (II) sulfate is added to a solution of aqueous sodium periodate (meta) in a bit of acid (phosphoric). A pink colour was observed, but what is the reaction equation?
    I was thinking:
    MnSO4 + 2 NaIO4 --> Mn(IO4)2 (is that pink) + Na2SO4

Lastly, what happens to NaH2PO2, Na2HPO3, and Na2HPO4, when they are added to an ammonium molybdate solution, heated, and then have 4M sulfuric acid added. (ie what are the reacton equations). The observed products were blue liquid, white precipitate, and yellow precipitate respectively. I keep finding conflicting info as to the formula for molybdate; so I am kind of stumped.

Thanks everyone
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

1st - I can't see any obvious reaction, however, I will check whether there were no Cl- ions in substrates. Hypochlorates hydrolyse slowly producing Cl- and O2.

2nd - IMHO pink stands for MnO4-.

Chemical calculators for labs and education
    BATE - pH calculations, titration curves, hydrolisis
  4. Mar 23, 2005 #3
    Thank you; for the first one, I also found that ClO- disproportionates in solution giving ClO3- and Cl-

I have also worked out what I think is the periodate/manganese sulfate reaction:

2MnSO4 + NaIO4 + 3 H20 --> 2 HMnO4 + NaIO3 + 2 H2SO4; does this look alright?
  5. Mar 23, 2005 #4

Staff: Mentor

Never heard about it. O2 (or more precisely atomic O) is the reactive substance in the bleach.

Oxygen is not balanced properly.

Chemical calculators for labs and education
    BATE - pH calculations, titration curves, hydrolisis
  6. Mar 23, 2005 #5
    I found this in a book called Vogel's Textbook of Macro and Semimicro Qualitative Inorganic Analysis.

Oops. I have 5's in front of the NaIO4 and the NaIO3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?