Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with programming

1. May 14, 2012 #1
    Hey everyone,

Sorry if I seem somewhat repetitive about this, but I need help with getting started. I feel really dumb because I've asked questions somewhat similar to this.

Ok, where do I even start with programming. I bought a book from Amazon, which says I need a "text editor" and a "complier". Alot of people have told me that I should download microsoft visual studio, and listening to their advice, I did.

From there I have no clue what to do. I'm tempted to just give up C and start back up again with Python. Since to me it seems much simpler to get started. I already have everything I need downloaded and the website comes with nifty tutorials. The only problem with this is that I already bought a book from Amazon, but prior to that I bought the Python book and sent it back telling my mom that it would be better to start with C. Now I don't know about you guys, but my mom would be pretty upset if I walked up to her telling her that I now need a python book. Not to mention that I would make a complete fool of myself...

My final goal is to program with Matlab. Regardless of which language I start with I would want my second language to be Matlab.

Thanks for the replies.

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2012 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I code C using CodeBlocks. It's an editor and compiler and will do what you need easily if you're using Windows.

4. May 14, 2012 #3
    http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/26

Which one should I download?

codeblocks-10.05-setup.exe
    codeblocks-10.05mingw-setup.exe

5. May 14, 2012 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Grab the second one.

6. May 14, 2012 #5
    Alright, thanks for the help. I really needed it.

7. May 15, 2012 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook