Projectile Motion at the Top of a Hill: Angle and Height Calculation

In summary, the projectile follows a parabolic trajectory, and can be described by a parametric equation.
the_d
***Help With PROJECTILE MOTION***

im giving a problem where i have to find the angle a projectile situated at the top of a will hit an boat wit constant velocity 20 ft/s 5 sec after starting at Vo = 96.6 ft/s and also how high the hill is above the water. The distance from the base of the hill to the boat is given to be 301 ft.

i found the distance the boat travels after 5 seconds to be 100 ft. now I am trying to calculate the Vx and Vy components of the projectile to get theta, any suggestions?? thanx

Attachments

• boat.JPG
    boat.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 421
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a vector triangle and use cos and sine functions. youll see it.

i found the angle but how do i find the height of the hill?

the_d said:
i found the angle but how do i find the height of the hill?

Again, which are the equations of displacement? Use the height of the hill as an initial, let's say, y-position.

Can someone help me figure out the height of the hill for this problem, i am stuck...thanks

i found the distance the boat travels after 5 seconds to be 100 ft. now I am trying to calculate the Vx and Vy components of the projectile to get theta, any suggestions??
The projectile follows a parabolic trajectory, but it is starting at a higher elevation than it will end.

One simply finds the point at which the boat and projectile paths intersect at 5 seconds.

The boat travels 100 ft in 5 seconds, the project must travel (310 ft + 100 ft = 401 ft) in those same 5 seconds. Knowing the distance traveled and the time, what value can be calculated?

i figured that part out already but now i am having a hard time computing the height of the hill, I tried making a triangle out of the picture but i only have one side 301 and one angle 90 degrees, am i missing somrthing?

Well, if one has the equation of the parabolic trajectory, then one can determine the time from start to the peak of the trajectory, and from peak of trajectory to impact point. One can then subract the distance traveled from beginning to peak from the peak to impact and that gives the starting elevation.

So one has calculated the angle at the beginning?

Bear in mind, assuming no wind resistance, the horizontal velocity is constant.

Seems it would be a great idea to post a detailed tutorial on projectile motion, since it's such a frequent question.

What a smashing idea! Just marvellous

We'll see what we can do.

Meanwhile, Greg Bernhardt posted a tutorial on "Motion in 2 Dimensions"
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=95427
Page 11-15 (including worked example) covers projectile motion.

4. Problem-solving strategy for 2–D motion:

a) Select a coordinate system (typically Cartesian).

b) Resolve the initial velocity vector into x and y components.

c) Treat the horizontal motion and the vertical motion independently!

d) Horizontal motion has constant velocity. (Assuming wind resistance is neglected.

e) Vertical motion has constant acceleration (usually gravity).

Afterall, the parabolic trajectory can be described by pair of parametric equations x = x(t) and y = y(t), which describe the location or coordinates as functions of time.
http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual.calculus/0/parametric.6/index.html
http://colalg.math.csusb.edu/~devel/precalcdemo/param/src/param.html
http://www.math.hmc.edu/calculus/tutorials/parametric_eq/

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, influenced by both horizontal and vertical forces. It is a type of motion in which an object follows a curved path due to the influence of gravity.

What are the key factors that affect projectile motion?

The key factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, the angle of launch, the mass of the object, and the force of gravity. Air resistance may also play a role in certain situations.

How is the trajectory of a projectile calculated?

The trajectory of a projectile can be calculated using a variety of equations and formulas, including the kinematic equations of motion and the equations for projectile motion. These equations take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and force of gravity to determine the path of the projectile.

Can air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Yes, air resistance can affect the trajectory of a projectile. In some cases, it may cause the projectile to deviate from its expected path and land at a different location than predicted. However, in most situations, the effects of air resistance on the trajectory of a projectile are minimal.

How is projectile motion used in real life?

Projectile motion is used in a variety of real-life applications, including sports such as basketball and baseball, where the trajectory of a thrown or kicked object is crucial. It is also used in engineering and physics to study the motion of objects and design structures such as bridges and roller coasters.