Unravelling a Proof: If f is Continuous on [a,b] and f(a) < 0 < f(b)

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof that states if a function is continuous on an interval and has opposite signs at the endpoints, then there exists a number within the interval where the function equals 0. The proof uses the least upper bound property and the continuity theorem to show that a least upper bound for a set exists and is between the endpoints. The statement in question involves showing that this least upper bound cannot be an upper bound, which is proven by using a theorem that states if a function is continuous at a point and has a positive value, then there exists a positive number d such that the function has a positive value for all points within the interval [x-a, x+a]. The conversation also discusses the interpretation of "for all x
ak416
Hi, I am trying to understand the following proof: If f is continuous on [a,b] and f(a) < 0 < f(b), then there is some number x in [a,b] such that f(x) = 0.

It starts with defining A to be {x: a <= x <= b and f is negative on [a,x]}. It uses the least upper bound property to determine that a least upper bound for A does exist and its between a and b. Call this least upper bound "u". Now suppose f(u) < 0. By a continuity theorem there is a d > 0 st f(x) < 0 for u-d < x < u+d. Now there is some x0 in A which satisfies u-d < x0 < u.
This is where i don't understand. Intuitively it makes sense, but how do you know that there's any x between u-d and u+d or u-d and u. All i know is that any x0 in A must be smaller or equal to u. I am trying to make as little assumptions as possible and it seems as if this statement assumes the intermediate value theorem, and that's basically what its trying to prove.

Physics news on Phys.org
So you know that, by construction, any x with a≤x<u has f(x)<0. You want to show that f(u)=0. This means eliminating the possibilities that is is either greater or less than 0. It looks like first you want to show it can't be less than 0 by assuming it is and then deriving a contradiction. The way to do this is to start with your (true) claim that, assuming f(u)<0, there exists a d>0 such that f(x)<0 for all u-d<x<u+d. This shows right away that u can't be the least upper bound of A, a contradiction. An analagous argument assuming f(u)>0 leads to the same conclusion.

Ya i know the the structure of the proof. Its just this specific statement that i don't understand: " there is some x0 in A which satisfies u-d < x0 < u. " Can you explain to me exactly why that's true.

The proof doesn't require x to be in A, although it can be. All you need is to show that u isn't a least upper bound; that either it isn't an upper bound, or there is an upper bound which is less than it. All that is required is that there is some real x in (u-d,u), which is guaranteed since d is postive.

ok as a side question. Here's a theorem that's used to prove this: Suppose f is continuous at a, and f(a) > 0. Then there is a number d > 0 such that f(x) > 0 for all x satisfying [x-a] < d.

Now when reading this theorem, do i interpret "for all x" as for all x in the domain of f which can be arbitrary, or can i simply pick any x I can think of that satisfies the relation [x-a] < d. And in a sense, the nature of the domain is stated by the theorem.

Because if its the second case, then ya, i see why the Intermediate Value proof makes sense.

The function is continuous on [a,b], which means [a,b] is part of its domain. So I don't see where the distinction between those two interpretations would come up in the proof. But, in general, d must be chosen so that f is defined at every point with |x-a|<d. If no such d can be chosen, the function isn't continuous at a.

1. What does it mean for a function to be continuous on an interval?

A function is considered continuous on an interval if it is defined and has no "breaks" or jumps in its graph within that interval. This means that the function can be drawn without lifting your pencil from the paper.

2. Why is it important for f(a) to be less than 0 and f(b) to be greater than 0?

This condition ensures that the function has opposite signs at the endpoints of the interval, which is necessary for the Intermediate Value Theorem to be applicable. This theorem states that if a continuous function has opposite signs at its endpoints, then it must have at least one zero or root within that interval.

3. How do we know that a function is continuous?

A function is considered continuous if it meets three criteria: it is defined at every point within the interval, it has no breaks or jumps in its graph, and it has no asymptotes within the interval.

4. Can the function have more than one zero within the interval?

Yes, it is possible for the function to have multiple zeros within the interval. The Intermediate Value Theorem only guarantees the existence of at least one zero, but there could be more depending on the behavior of the function.

5. How can we use this proof to solve for the zero of the function?

By showing that the function is continuous on the interval and has opposite signs at the endpoints, we can use the Intermediate Value Theorem to conclude that the function must have at least one zero within that interval. To find the exact value of the zero, we can use numerical methods such as bisection or Newton's method.