Solving E1jk & Proving |Torque|^2 w/o Summation

• Thread starter jlmac2001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem without using the summation symbol, proving a statement involving torque, and clarifying the definitions of εijk and δij in tensor analysis. The solution method for the problem without summation is not clear and requires further research. The proof for the statement involving torque involves expanding the expression and using the definition of εijk. The definitions of εijk and δij are provided and clarified through examples.
jlmac2001
How would I solve E1jk without the summation? I know how to solve it using the summation symbol but don't know howto do it without it.

Also, I need help proving that |torque|^2 = |r x F|^2= r^2F^2sin@(thetarF ). r dot F = rF cos (thetarF . Would I have to use (r x F) dot (r x F)?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Qs are not clear to me
Does E represents Electric field

And What do u want to prove for Torque

here is an attachment with the questions

I need help with the third one in number 1 and numbers 2(proof) and 3. For number 3, how would I expand?

Attachments

• hw3.pdf
    48.5 KB · Views: 179
I still don't know what does epsilon delta represents may u have some notations

But as far as Q3 goes
The angle between [tex]\vec r x \vec F[/tex] is zero
Hence [tex](\vec r x \vec F).(\vec r x \vec F) = |(\vec r x \vec F)^2|[/tex]

Last edited:
As himashu121 pointed out, in order to find ε1jk, you have to know what εijk means! I suspect I do know what it means since it is just a matter of looking up a definition, it would be much better for you to do that.

Right out the formula for εijk, and substitute i= 1- in fact, write out all the components and then just copy down those that have i=1.

I still want to know epsilon and delta i believe these are vector components

Though for Part2:

Write a=wx(wxr) = (w.r)w-(w.w)r where all are vectors and x is a cross product.

If r is perpendicular than w.r=0

Since jlmac2001 hasn't responded: In tensor analysis, δij is the tensor represented by the unit matrix: 1 if i=j, 0 otherwise.

εijk is the "alternating" tensor. It is defined to be: 1 if ijk is an even permutation of 123, -1 if ijk is an odd permutation of 123, 0 otherwise (i.e. if anyone of the indices is repeated).

εsub]1jk[/sub] is therefore:
ε111= 0
ε112= 0
ε113= 0
ε121= 0
ε122= 0
ε123= 1
ε131= 0
ε132= -1
ε133= 0

Written as a matrix this would be:
[0 0 0]
[0 0 1]
[0 -1 0]

1. What is E1jk?

E1jk is a mathematical notation used to represent the elements of a matrix. In this context, it refers to the elements in the first row and column of the matrix.

2. What does "proving |Torque|^2" mean?

Proving |Torque|^2 means demonstrating that the magnitude of the torque (a measure of rotational force) is squared. This is often done in physics and engineering to show the strength or effectiveness of a particular torque.

3. Why is summation not used in solving E1jk & Proving |Torque|^2?

Summation, or the process of adding a series of numbers, is not used in this context because E1jk and |Torque|^2 are not dependent on multiple values. They are single values that can be calculated or proven individually.

4. How is E1jk & Proving |Torque|^2 relevant in science?

E1jk & Proving |Torque|^2 are relevant in science because they are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They can be applied to solve problems involving matrices and torque, which are important concepts in these disciplines.

5. Can you provide an example of how to solve E1jk & Proving |Torque|^2?

Yes, for example, if we have a 3x3 matrix with elements E1jk = 2, and we want to prove that the torque has a magnitude of 4, we can calculate |Torque|^2 as (2)^2 = 4, thus proving the statement.