1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with proof

1. Jan 20, 2004 #1
    How would I solve E1jk without the summation? I know how to solve it using the summation symbol but don't know howto do it without it.

Also, I need help proving that |torque|^2 = |r x F|^2= r^2F^2sin@(thetarF ). r dot F = rF cos (thetarF . Would I have to use (r x F) dot (r x F)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2004 #2
    The Qs are not clear to me
    Does E represents Electric field

And What do u want to prove for Torque

4. Jan 21, 2004 #3
    here is an attachment with the questions

I need help with the third one in number 1 and numbers 2(proof) and 3. For number 3, how would I expand?

Attached Files:

• hw3.pdf
      hw3.pdf
      File size:
      48.5 KB
      Views:
  5. Jan 21, 2004 #4
    I still dont know what does epsilon delta represents may u have some notations

But as far as Q3 goes
    The angle between [tex]\vec r x \vec F[/tex] is zero
    Hence [tex](\vec r x \vec F).(\vec r x \vec F) = |(\vec r x \vec F)^2|[/tex]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2004
  6. Jan 21, 2004 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As himashu121 pointed out, in order to find ε1jk, you have to know what εijk means! I suspect I do know what it means since it is just a matter of looking up a definition, it would be much better for you to do that.

Right out the formula for εijk, and substitute i= 1- in fact, write out all the components and then just copy down those that have i=1.

7. Jan 21, 2004 #6
    I still want to know epsilon and delta i believe these are vector components

Though for Part2:

Write a=wx(wxr) = (w.r)w-(w.w)r where all are vectors and x is a cross product.

If r is perpendicular than w.r=0

8. Jan 22, 2004 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since jlmac2001 hasn't responded: In tensor analysis, δij is the tensor represented by the unit matrix: 1 if i=j, 0 otherwise.

εijk is the "alternating" tensor. It is defined to be: 1 if ijk is an even permutation of 123, -1 if ijk is an odd permutation of 123, 0 otherwise (i.e. if any one of the indices is repeated).

εsub]1jk[/sub] is therefore:
    ε111= 0
    ε112= 0
    ε113= 0
    ε121= 0
    ε122= 0
    ε123= 1
    ε131= 0
    ε132= -1
    ε133= 0

Written as a matrix this would be:
    [0 0 0]
    [0 0 1]
    [0 -1 0]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?