Help with proof, characteristic function of the subset

• Thread starter LMKIYHAQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: A subset C of A has the function f(a)=0 if a is not in C and f(a)=1 if a is in C. It's called the characteristic function of the subset.
LMKIYHAQ

Homework Statement

You have a set A. Let [tex]B^{A}[/tex] be the set of all functions mapping A into the set B={0,1}. Prove the cardinality of[tex]B^{A}[/tex] = the cardinality of the power set of A.

2. Homework Equations [/b

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel about 50% sure about the proof. What do you think? Since A is a set, A has n elements where n is a natural number. Let g be the function mapping A into B s.t {n[tex]\in[/tex]A : n = 0 or n = 1}. So for each n in A there are 2 distinct possibilities (i. e mapping to 0 or 1). Since [tex]B^{A}[/tex] is the set containing all functions of type g, the cardinality of [tex]B^{A}[/tex] = [tex]2^{n}[/tex], which is also known as the cardinality of the power set of A.

Thanks for helping!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to show the cardinalities are equal the easiest way is to exhibit a 1-1 mapping between subsets of A and members {0,1}^A. Your 'proof' doesn't actually ever say what it is. Can you be more explicit? If you have subset S of A define the mapping. If you have a mapping define the subset.

I'm not sure how to create a mapping from the power set of A into the interval? Since the problem talks about the functions of A, I'm not sure what the power set of A would look like?

It's not an interval. B={0,1} is just the set consisting of the elements 0 and 1. B^A is just the set of all mappings from A->B, i.e. all functions f, such that f(a)=0 or 1 for each a in A. If you have a subset C of A what's the obvious way to define the corresponding function f? If you have a function f what's the corresponding subset C?

You said there is an obvious function, but it is not obvious to me. Would the function C (the subset of A) going to B be the function of P(A)? I know we have to show there is a 1-1 function from P(A) to B (to the A). I have no idea how.

Given a subset C, to me the obvious function f is f(a)=0 if a is not in C and f(a)=1 if a is in C. Given a function f define C={a such that f(a)=1}. It's called the characteristic function of the subset.

1. What is a proof and why is it necessary?

A proof is a logical argument that demonstrates the validity of a statement or theorem. It is necessary because it provides evidence and reasoning to support a claim, allowing others to understand and verify the truthfulness of the statement.

2. What is a characteristic function and how is it related to subsets?

A characteristic function is a mathematical function that maps elements in a set to either 0 or 1, indicating whether the element is a member of a specific subset. It is related to subsets because it can be used to define and identify subsets within a larger set.

3. How do you write a proof for a characteristic function of a subset?

To write a proof for a characteristic function of a subset, you must first clearly define the subset and the characteristic function. Then, you can use logical reasoning and mathematical principles to show that the characteristic function correctly identifies the elements in the subset.

4. Can a characteristic function have more than two possible values?

No, a characteristic function can only have two possible values: 0 or 1. This is because it is a binary function that is used to identify whether an element is a member of a subset or not.

5. How is a characteristic function different from an indicator function?

A characteristic function and an indicator function are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between the two. A characteristic function is used to identify elements in a subset, while an indicator function is used to represent the presence or absence of a characteristic or property in a set. In other words, a characteristic function is a type of indicator function that specifically identifies elements in a subset.