1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with proofs

1. Feb 8, 2005 #1

Nx2

i just started my second semester with geomtry and am having difficulties with these proofs. i am stuck on this one question which asks:

prove that if n is an odd positive integer, then one of the numbers n+5 or n+7 is dividsible by 4.

so this is what i came up with:

let n = 2k+1

f(n)= n+5
    = (2k+1)+5
    = 2k+6
    = 2(k+3)

So we know that 2 is divisible by 2 and now im guessing i have to prove that (k+3) is divisible by 2 as well. then by using the factor tree thing we can say that since the 2 is divisible by 2 and (k+3) is divisible by 2, f(n) must be divisible by 4, no? but i dont get how to do this... am i doing something wrong?

i did the same exact method with f(n)= n+7 and ended up with f(n)= 2(k+4).

i just dont get all this proving stuff.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

- Tu

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're basically "home",because you have to prove that one of the 2 no. K+3 or K+4 is divisible with 2,thing which is trivial.

Daniel.

4. Feb 8, 2005 #3

Nx2

so how would i show that (k+3) or (k+4) is divisible by 2... that what i dont understand. it looks to me that not all cases will be divisible by 2 making the statement false, but my teacher says that none of them are false. unless im doing this question totaly wrong... any ideas?

thnx.

- Tu

5. Feb 8, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can u show that from two consecutive natural numbers (as is the case with K+3 & K+4),one & only one is divisible by 2...??

Daniel.

6. Feb 8, 2005 #5
    yea tu it sucks balls (this is phillips)

7. Feb 8, 2005 #6

Nx2

oooo... omg i cant beleive i didnt see that... so (k+3) and (k+4) are consecutive number, which mean one of them must be even, making one of them divisible by 2 correct?

- Tu

8. Feb 8, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's right... :smile:

Daniel.

9. Feb 8, 2005 #8
    yes
    also you didnt need to substitute if you think about it, you already had the consecutive pairs

n, n+5, and n+7
    n being odd, you are adding 1 to make it even, than another 4
    if that isnt divisible, the other pair adds another 2, so it must be divisible if the other wasnt.

10. Feb 8, 2005 #9

Nx2

Omg man thnx alot... i apreciate it man

- Tu

lol, hey wats up Philips, didnt know u go on here lol

11. Feb 8, 2005 #10

Nx2

ooo i got yea philips... i should have seen that comming... man i hate this proof stuf... brutal...

12. Feb 8, 2005 #11
    useful forum
    hey daniel while you are here
    how would you do

prove that n^5 - 5n^3 + 4n is always divisible by 120 when n is greater than or equal to 3

and prove that there are no integer solutions to the equation 2x + 4y = 5
    since both 2 and 4 are even numbers, does that alone prove there are no solutions?
    thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?