1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with proofs

1. Apr 23, 2005 #1
    I need help solving these 2 proofs:

(sec^2x-1)/(sec^2x) = sin^2x
    I am not sure what direction to go in. I know the top of the left side could be changed into:
    tan^2x/sec^2x, but I don't know what to do after that.

The second one I need help with is:

cos^2x/(1+tan^2x) = cot^2x
    I simplified it into:
    cos^2x/sec^2x = cos^2x/sin^2x, but I don't know what to do after that. Can you help me get the next few steps of these problems? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2005 #2

Imo

Actually, your already done....you just don't know it.

remember that tanx=sinx/cosx? try that

this one is done. again, remember that cotx=1/tanx, so what is cotx in terms of sin and cos?

4. Apr 24, 2005 #3
    chase.....u seem to be a small boy just starting to learn math....am i right?????

first problem....sec^2 x-1/sec^2 x=sin^2 x......
    ie.....tan^2 x/sec^2 x=RHS
    ie.....sin^2 x*cos^2 x/cos^2 x....that is equal to sin^2 x...isnt it?????/
    and the second problem u have given is wrong...there is some mistake in it......dont worry..trigonometry is easy......just try to create equations urselves....solve most of them using mind...then take ur pen......because u should be learning them like drinking water....so have them in ur fingertips.....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?