Help with proving limits using Epsilon-Delta definition

In summary, you guessed the correct limit for the given function, but it is still a guess. You must satisfy the properties a limit must have in order to be certain that your guess is correct.
shirewolfe
I am having trouble proving the limits of quadratic functions such as the following. (I used "E" to represent epsilon and "d" for delta)

lim [(x^2)+1]
x->1

I found the limit, L, to equal 2 and have proceeded through the following steps:

|f(x) - L| < E
| [(x^2)+1] - 1| < E
|[(x^2)-1]| < E
|x+1||x-1| < E

While I also know that 0 < |x-1| < d.

My question is how do you find the numerical relationship between |x+1||x-1| and |x-1| so that I may find d in terms of E?

(I was thinking of finding the bounded open interval in which |x+1||x-1| = |[(x^2)-1]| and substituting the greastest figure of the interval, which would be greater than |x+1|, in place of |x+1| so that I would have z|x-1|< E where z is an identified numerical value. However, in problems like the one above, |x+1||x-1| = |[(x^2)-1]| within a seemingly unbounded interval.)

please help. your time and assistance is very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the triangle inequality perhaps, |x + 1| = |x - 1 + 2| <= |x - 1| + 2 < d + 2.

shirewolfe said:
I am having trouble proving the limits of quadratic functions such as the following. (I used "E" to represent epsilon and "d" for delta)

lim [(x^2)+1]
x->1

I found the limit, L, to equal 2 and have proceeded through the following steps:
First of all, you have NOT found the limit, and certainly not shown that it is 2!
What you have done, is to make a GUESS at the limit value!
(As it happens, you've made a correct guess, but that is irrelevant; it's still a guess).

What you are to do now, is:
1. Does my guess (2) satisfy the properties that a limit must have?
2. Let [tex]|x-1|<\delta[/tex]
3. Then, [tex]|x^{2}+1-2|=|x^{2}-1|=|x-1||x+1|[/tex]
4. Now, by assumption, [tex]|x-1|<\delta[/tex]
Let us make a further assumption, that [tex]\delta<1[/tex]
Then, [tex]|x+1|<2 (\delta<1)[/tex]
And:
[tex]|x^{2}+1-2|<2\delta, (\delta<1)[/tex]
5. Let [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex]
If we are to have [tex]|x^{2}+1-2|<\epsilon[/tex] for all x satisfying [tex]|x-1|<\delta[/tex] it is sufficient if the following inequalities are simultaneously satisfied:
[tex]2\delta<\epsilon[/tex]
[tex]\delta<1[/tex]

Hence, setting [tex]\delta=min(\frac{\epsilon}{2},1)[/tex] suffices.

That is, we were able to show that our guess (2) satisfy the properties a limit must have.

Last edited:
By 'finding' 2 through the substitution of 1 in f(x)=[(x^2)+1] I meant that it was a possible limit whose validity must be varified through the E-d definition. Thank you for correcting me however, to avoid my own future confusion.

Thanks for the helpful guidance and clarification.

I was perhaps a bit too snappish on that point, don't bite me back, though..:wink:

What is the Epsilon-Delta definition of a limit?

The Epsilon-Delta definition of a limit is a mathematical method used to prove that the limit of a function exists and has a specific value. It involves finding a value for epsilon (ε) and a corresponding value for delta (δ) that satisfies the definition of a limit.

Why is it important to use the Epsilon-Delta definition to prove limits?

The Epsilon-Delta definition is important because it provides a rigorous and precise method for proving the existence and value of a limit. It allows for a more formal and logical approach to understanding and working with limits, which is essential in many areas of mathematics and science.

What are the steps involved in proving limits using the Epsilon-Delta definition?

The steps involved in proving limits using the Epsilon-Delta definition include setting up the definition, finding a value for epsilon (ε), expressing the limit in terms of epsilon (ε) and delta (δ), and then solving for delta (δ) in terms of epsilon (ε). Once a value for delta (δ) is found, it is used to show that the difference between the function and the limit is less than epsilon (ε).

What are some common challenges when using the Epsilon-Delta definition to prove limits?

Some common challenges when using the Epsilon-Delta definition to prove limits include finding the right value for epsilon (ε) and delta (δ), understanding and applying the definition correctly, and accurately manipulating and solving equations involving epsilon (ε) and delta (δ). It can also be challenging to visualize and interpret the concept of a limit using this method.

Are there any alternative methods for proving limits besides the Epsilon-Delta definition?

Yes, there are alternative methods for proving limits, such as the Squeeze Theorem, the Direct Substitution Method, and the Sandwich Theorem. These methods may be simpler and more intuitive to use in certain cases, but the Epsilon-Delta definition is the most rigorous and widely accepted method for proving limits.