What is the acceleration of this pulley and mass system?

• Thread starter BMWPower06
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, the system will accelerate if the net force on m1 is greater than the static friction force.
BMWPower06

Homework Statement

In Figure below, m1 = 11.9 kg and m2 = 4.23 kg.
http://aycu19.webshots.com/image/18298/2003920338738691485_rs.jpg
The coefficient of static friction between m1 and the horizontal surface is 0.526 while the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.288. If the system is released from rest, what will its acceleration be?

If the system is set in motion with m2 moving downward, what will be the acceleration of the system?

Homework Equations

F=MA i assume

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't even know where to start with this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok first of all find the net force (vertical) on m2

what forces are acting on it?

then find the net horizontal force on m1. Firstly assume that they let it go from rest... determine whether or not the system will accelerate. Remember the force on m1 must be bigger than the static fricion force in order for it to move. (accelerate)

If it does then you have calculate the acceleration using the kinetic friction force.

Noting that the tension in the cable is the same on both sides of the assumed massless frictionles pulley, you should draw a free body diagram (FBD) of each block, identify the forces acting on that block for each case, and use Newton 2 for each block to solve for the unknowns. Are you familiar with FBD's?

yea, i drew the FBD and got the Fn of M1= 116.62 and Fn of M2= 41.454. Now where do i go from here?

Ok so i used this:
a=gmum.gif

and i got -.49m/s^2 but it says the answer is not correct. Anyone know why?

for mew i used the coefficient of Kinetic friction

any1 know what's wrong?

BMWPower06 said:
Ok so i used this:
a=gmum.gif

It looks like you did part 2 first (the moving case) but you slipped on the minus sign. Use downward as the positive direction, try +.49m/s^2 as your answer. But in part 1, take again a look at 'stunner's' hint.

BMWPower06 said:
Ok so i used this:
a=gmum.gif

how did you get this answer??

stunner5000pt said:
ok first of all find the net force (vertical) on m2

what forces are acting on it?

then find the net horizontal force on m1. Firstly assume that they let it go from rest... determine whether or not the system will accelerate. Remember the force on m1 must be bigger than the static fricion force in order for it to move. (accelerate)

If it does then you have calculate the acceleration using the kinetic friction force.

so i have:
For M2:
Force of m1 on m2 going up and Fmg going down

For M1:
Force of m2 on m1 going right and Ff going left.

Do i use Ff=(.526)*(11.9)*(9.8)
then where do i go from here?

BMWPower06 said:
so i have:
For M2:
Force of m1 on m2 going up and Fmg going down

For M1:
Force of m2 on m1 going right and Ff going left.

Do i use Ff=(.526)*(11.9)*(9.8)
then where do i go from here?

that 'force of m1 on m2' is called the tension because there is a string connecting the tow

can you write out what you said in the form of equations ? Maybe then you will be able to see what to solve for. Equations should be of the form
Fnet = sum of all of the forces in that direction

1. How do pulleys help with lifting heavy masses?

Pulleys help with lifting heavy masses by reducing the amount of force needed to lift the load. The pulley system creates a mechanical advantage, making it easier to lift the load by distributing the weight between multiple ropes and pulleys.

2. What are the different types of pulley systems?

There are three types of pulley systems: fixed, movable, and compound. Fixed pulleys have a fixed axle and do not reduce the amount of force needed to lift the load. Movable pulleys have a movable axle and reduce the amount of force needed by half. Compound pulleys are a combination of fixed and movable pulleys and can reduce the force needed even further.

3. How do you calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system can be calculated by dividing the weight of the load by the weight of the effort (force applied to lift the load). The more pulleys in the system, the greater the mechanical advantage.

4. Can pulleys be used to change the direction of the force?

Yes, pulleys can be used to change the direction of the force. In a simple pulley system, the force is redirected downwards, making it easier to lift the load. In more complex pulley systems, the direction of the force can be changed multiple times to lift loads in different directions.

5. What is the relationship between the number of pulleys and the effort required to lift a load?

The more pulleys in a system, the less effort is required to lift a load. As the number of pulleys increases, the mechanical advantage also increases, making it easier to lift the load. However, adding more pulleys also increases the length of the rope needed, which may not be feasible in certain situations.