Help with Pulley Problem Homework | Physics247

In summary, the problem involves two blocks connected by a string over a frictionless pulley. The first block has a mass of 0.8 kg and the second block has a mass of 2.0 kg. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.14 and the ramp angle is 30 degrees. The goal is to find the acceleration of the blocks, the tension of the string, and the minimum value of the coefficient of static friction needed for the 2.0 kg block to not slide. By using the equations Fnet = ma, Ff = umg, Fg = mg, and Fn = Fg, the forces acting on each block can be determined. To find the acceleration, the forces in the
Larz31

Homework Statement

This is a problem off of http://www.physics247.com/physics-homework-help/pulley.php It is question number 6 but with an additional part and slight modification by my teacher. I will copy and paste it here but it may be best to view the link for the diagram.

Two blocks, one 0.8 kg and the other 2.0 kg are connected by a massless string over a frictionless pulley. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.14, and the downward ramp angle is 30 degrees (NOT 60 degrees as shown in the diagram).

a) Determine the acceleration of the blocks.

b) Calculate the tension of the string.

c) If the string broke, for what minimum value of the coefficient of static friction would the 2kg block not begin to slide?

m1 = 0.8kg
m2 = 2.0kg
uk = 0.14

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma
Ff = umg
Fg = mg
Fn = Fg

The Attempt at a Solution

I did a FBD and came up with this equation
Fnet = Fgx2.0 - Ff2.8 + Fg0.8 + Fgy2.0 - Fn0.8 I'm unsure if this is correct
Which meant 2.8a = 2gsin60 - u2.8g + 0.8g + 2g - 0.8g
But now I'm not sure what to do because my forces in the y direction don't equal zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you have two unknowns the acceleration [itex] \textbf{a} [/itex] of the blocks and the tension force [itex] \textbf{T} [/itex], both can be considered 1-dimensional, hence 2 unknowns. What's the equation of motion for each of the blocks?

well for the 0.80kg mass, we have:

Fnet = Fg - Fn = 0 in the y direction
Fnet = Fgx2.0 - Ff
(0.8)a = (2)(9.8)(sin60) - (0.14)(0.8)(9.8) Or so I believe...

for the 2.0kg mass we have:

Fnet = Fgx - Ff + Fgy - Fn
(2.0)a = (2)(9.8)(sin60) - (0.14)(2.0)(9.8)

I have a feeling I am doing something wrong though.

You're first equation with the y-direction (vertical to the surface) is correct, you can use that to determine the force of friction on block 1 (0.80 kg). But you have to use the tension force T. The only forces in te x-direction on block 1 is the force of friction ("backwards") and the force of tension (oppisite direction of friction), the normal force and the force of gravity cancel in the y-direction (as you also have in your first equation).

In you're second equation you seem to mix up the forces in x- and y-direction. You need to consider them seperatly. The forces in the y-direction (vertical to the surface) cancel each other out again. Forces on the x-direction are the component of the gravity in the direction of motion, the force of friction in the oppisite direction of the motion and the force of tension.
To make it a little clear, then let m1 is the mass of the first block (0.80kg) and m2 be the mass of block 2 (2.0 kg), and [itex] \theta [/itex] be the angle 60 degrees, the equation of motion for the two block in the x-direction could be expressed as

[tex] m_1\ddot{x} = T - f_1 [/tex]

[tex]m_2\ddot{x} = F_{g_x} - f_2 - T[/tex]

where [itex] f_1 [/itex] is the force of friction of the first block and [itex]f_2[/itex] is on te second block. Try figuring how to find the forces and then you can solve the system for the unknowns.

Last edited:
I'm confused, if m1a = T - Ff then
0.8a = T - (0.14)(0.8)(9.8) in the x direction.

This means that I would need the tension to solve for a and vice versa.

Indeed, but you have there 2 equations with 2 unknowns. The unknowns being the acceleration [itex] \ddot{x} [/itex] and [itex]T[/itex]. You can solve for both unknowns. Try adding the 2 equations and you should be free from the tension force, you can then solve for the acceleration.
Besides calculating the tension force is problem b).

Ah I see now, so then for part a)

a(m1 + m2) = Fgx - Ff1 - Ff2
a = [ (2)(9.8)(sin60) - (0.14)(9.8)(0.8 - 2.0) ] / (0.8 + 2.0)
= 6.65 m/s/s

It is sin60 right? I'm not too sure if that's it, for some reason I just know to always use sin.

For part b) then

a(m1 - m2) = 2T + Ff2 - Ff1 - Fgx Would the 2T be cluttered as the total tension or would I need to divide by two in the end? This is basically solved now...

for part c) ... Would I set umg = Fgx?
Then u = Fgx / mg
= sin60?

a) Yes sin60 is correct for Fgx. But your expression for the friction force f2 doesn't look correct, you know that [itex] f = \mu N[/itex] where N is the normal force from the surface. What is the normal force on block 2?

b) When you have the acceleration a, you can just use one of the equations to solve for T.

c) It's correct that you can solve f2 = Fgx (the sum of the forces should be 0 on horizontal direction if the block is stay on the surface without moving). But again you use the same expression for f2 as in a), which isn't correct, because what is the normal force from the surface on block 2?

Last edited:

What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or cable that runs along the groove. It is used to lift or move objects by changing the direction of the force needed to move the object.

How do I calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is calculated by dividing the weight of the object being lifted by the force applied to the rope or cable. For example, if the weight of the object is 200 pounds and the force applied is 50 pounds, the mechanical advantage would be 4.

What is the difference between a fixed and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object, while a movable pulley is attached to the object being moved. A fixed pulley changes the direction of the force needed to move an object, while a movable pulley also reduces the amount of force needed.

How can I increase the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system can be increased by adding more pulleys. Each additional pulley added to the system will increase the mechanical advantage by a factor of 1. For example, if a system has 3 pulleys, the mechanical advantage will be 3 times the weight of the object being lifted.

Are there any disadvantages to using a pulley system?

One disadvantage of using a pulley system is that it can be less efficient than other lifting methods, as some of the force is lost due to friction in the pulley. Additionally, the more pulleys added to a system, the more complex and difficult it may be to set up and maintain.