Help With Pulleys: Answers to Acceleration Questions

In summary, a block of mass m1 is attached to a block of mass m2 by a massless rope in a frictionless system. When the blocks are released, they move. The correct expression for the relationship between the accelerations of blocks 1 and 2 is O, as the acceleration of block 2 is going down. The correct expression for the relationship between the magnitude of acceleration of block 1, a1, and the tension in the rope, T, is unknown. The correct expression for the relationship between the magnitude of acceleration of block 2, a2, and the tension in the rope, T, is A, as the tension must be divided by the mass of block 2 since it is moving down
stephhm
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
A block of mass m1 is attached to a block of mass m2 by a massless rope (see diagram); the pulleys and surfaces are frictionless. When the blocks are let go, they move. Answer the following three questions using the choices given below.

i) Select the correct expression for the relationship between the accelerations of blocks 1 and 2.
ii) Select the correct expression that describes how the magnitude of the acceleration of block 1, a1, depends on the tension in the rope, T.
iii) Select the correct expression that describes how the magnitude of the acceleration of block 2, a2, depends on the tension in the rope, T.

The expressions and diagram are attached.

For i) I said O because acceleration of 2 must be going down?
For ii) I have no idea
For iii) I said A because the tension must be divided by mass 2 since it's the one going down?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 1.37.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 1.37.53 PM.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 445
  • Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 1.38.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 1.38.00 PM.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 478
Physics news on Phys.org
stephhm said:
For i) I said O because acceleration of 2 must be going down?
In the given coordinates, is 1's acceleration positive or negative? Is 2's acceleration positive or negative?
If 1 moves left a distance s, how does 2 move?
stephhm said:
For ii) I have no idea
What forces act on 1?
stephhm said:
For iii) I said A because the tension must be divided by mass 2 since it's the one going down?
What forces act on 2?

1. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that is used to lift or move objects by using a rope or cable that is wrapped around a wheel. The wheel has a groove or groove-like structure around its circumference, which allows the rope or cable to move freely.

2. How do pulleys help with acceleration?

Pulleys help with acceleration by reducing the amount of force needed to lift or move an object. This is because pulleys distribute the weight of the object evenly across multiple ropes or cables, making it easier for the force to be applied.

3. What is the formula for calculating acceleration with pulleys?

The formula for calculating acceleration with pulleys is a = F/m, where "a" is the acceleration, "F" is the force applied, and "m" is the mass of the object being moved. This formula is based on Newton's Second Law of Motion.

4. How do I determine the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

To determine the mechanical advantage of a pulley system, you need to count the number of ropes or cables supporting the object being lifted or moved. The mechanical advantage is equal to the number of supporting ropes or cables. For example, a system with 3 supporting ropes has a mechanical advantage of 3.

5. Are there any other factors that affect acceleration in a pulley system?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect acceleration in a pulley system, such as the friction between the rope or cable and the pulley, the weight of the pulley itself, and the angle at which the rope or cable is pulled. These factors can impact the amount of force needed to accelerate the object and should be taken into consideration when calculating acceleration with pulleys.