Help with question im stuck on

• Thread starter tfsc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the conversation is about someone re-teaching themselves math in order to improve their skills for physics. They encountered a problem involving significant digits and asked for help in finding where they went wrong in their calculation. After discussing the rules for significant digits and rounding, it was determined that there was a missing zero in the original calculation, leading to an incorrect answer. It was also emphasized that when dealing with significant figures, it is important to not change the numbers involved in the calculation and to use scientific notation.
tfsc
I'm currently re-teaching my self maths to get into physics as i sucked at maths in school but now I am older I feel like actually learning it !

So I'm on a website which gave me a test quiz i got them all correct bar one but it won't tell me the answer so ill show you the question and my answer see if you can help work out where i have miscalculated.Solve the following problem with correct numbers of significant digits:
2.1 * 5.2 - 1.45 / 0.02303

My workings:

1.45 / 0.2303 = 6.296135475466782457663916630482
2.1 * 5.2 = 10.92

10.92 - 6.296135475466782457663916630482 = 4.623864524533217542336083369518

Rounded to lowest significant digits in the sum.
So my answer was: 4.6

But that's incorrect.

Any ideas where i went wrong in my steps?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey tfsc and welcome to the forums.

Take a look at this line:

1.45 / 0.2303

Is there a missing 0? ;)

Well i thought this at first but according to the documentation of what classifies as a significant digit it says:

The significant digits represent the valid digits of a number. The following rules summarize the significant digits:

Nonzero digits are always significant.
All final zeros after the decimal points are significant.
Zeros between two other significant digits are always significant.
Zeros used solely for spacing the decimal point are not significant.

So that one 0 is not significant so you don't calculate with it. =/Argh i figured it out now - the rules regarding rounding up and down were little confusing ! Also it appears you do include the insignificant numbers during calculation so the answer is -52.

Last edited:
When you are dealing with significant figures or rounded answers, you can't change the numbers involved in the calculation. The thing that you have to process is the final answer and not any of the existing data that you are given.

Saying that a zero, used for placement of the decimal point, is not significant does not mean you can simply ignore it. 0.0203 is simply not the same number as .203 whether you are thinking "significant" figures or not. To really work with significant figures, use scientific notation: to two significant figures, 0.02303 is [itex]2.3 \times 10^{-2}[/itex].

chiro's statement that you should not round until the end is not entirely true- though it is a good idea to include at least one more significant figure in each calculation than you want at the end. To three significant figures, 0.02303 is [itex]2.30\times 10^{-2}[/itex], so 1.45/0.02303 becomes [itex]\frac{1.45}{2.30}\times 10^2= 0.630 \times 10^2= 6.30\times 10^1= 63.0[/itex].

1. How can I get help with a question I am stuck on?

There are several options for getting help with a question you are stuck on. You can ask a friend or classmate, consult a textbook or online resource, or seek assistance from a tutor or teacher.

2. What should I do if I can't figure out the answer to a question?

If you are struggling to find the answer to a question, try breaking it down into smaller parts and focusing on one part at a time. You can also try looking for similar examples or seeking guidance from a teacher or tutor.

3. Can I use the internet to help me with a question I am stuck on?

Yes, the internet can be a great resource for finding help with a question you are stuck on. You can search for online tutorials, forums, or videos that may provide explanations or solutions to similar problems.

4. How can I avoid getting stuck on a question in the future?

To avoid getting stuck on a question in the future, try to stay organized and keep up with the material as you go. Make sure to review and practice regularly, and don't be afraid to ask questions or seek help if you are struggling.

5. Is it okay to ask for help with a question I am stuck on?

Yes, it is perfectly fine to ask for help with a question you are stuck on. In fact, seeking help and learning from others is an important part of the scientific process. Don't be afraid to reach out for assistance when you need it.