Help with radiactive decay and radiation interactions hw

In summary, The conversation is about a person needing help with their nuclear engineering homework, specifically problems 2 and 3. They provide a link to the course schedule and ask for assistance through email. The person responding offers advice on how to approach the problems and suggests seeking help from classmates and the professor.
lololai
i need help with my nuc engineering homework due tomorrow. here is the link for hw1 in the course schedule. http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/courses/classes/NE39/index.htm
if anyone can help me with problems 2 and 3, email me at lml841@juno.com asap! thanks alot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Nothing like waiting for the night before, eh?

For problem 2. One is given a source strength 2.3 Ci (1 Ci = 3.7E10 disintegrations/sec) of 60Co (t1/2=5.27 yrs), which is also the activity.

Activity A = [itex]\lambda[/itex] N, where [itex]\lambda[/itex] (the decay constant) = 0.69315/ t1/2. Make sure you convert half-life to seconds if used with 1 Ci = 3.7E10 dps.

Therefore N (the number of atoms) = A / [itex]\lambda[/itex].

Using Avogadro's number and atomic mass, one can convert number of atoms to mass.

The activity A(t) as a function of time is given by A(t) = Ao [itex]e^{-\lambda t}[/itex]. So one needs to find t when the activity has decreased to 1.4 Ci from 2.3 Ci.

For problem 3.

Look at class notes (Cross-section.pdf is a better explanation of the nuclear cross section concept covered during lecture 3):

FIGURE II.17. Monoenergetic parallel neutron beam incident normally on a thick target

and equations II.34 and II.35.

Last edited:
Hi there! I'm not sure if I can help with your specific homework problems, but I can offer some advice on how to approach them. First, make sure you thoroughly understand the material and concepts covered in class and in the textbook. Next, try to break down the problems into smaller, manageable steps. If you get stuck, don't be afraid to ask your classmates or the professor for help. You can also try searching for similar problems online or in study guides. Good luck on your homework!

1. What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable atom releases energy in the form of radiation in order to become more stable. This can occur through the emission of alpha, beta, or gamma particles, or through the spontaneous fission of the atom.

2. What is the half-life of a radioactive element?

The half-life of a radioactive element is the amount of time it takes for half of the atoms in a sample to decay. This is a constant value for each element and can vary from fractions of a second to billions of years.

3. How does radiation interact with matter?

Radiation can interact with matter in three ways: through absorption, scattering, and ionization. Absorption occurs when radiation is absorbed by the atoms in matter, causing them to become excited or ionized. Scattering occurs when radiation is redirected in a different direction by the atoms in matter. Ionization occurs when radiation knocks electrons off of atoms, creating ions.

4. What is the difference between alpha, beta, and gamma radiation?

Alpha radiation consists of alpha particles, which are composed of two protons and two neutrons. Beta radiation consists of beta particles, which are either electrons or positrons. Gamma radiation consists of photons, which are high-energy electromagnetic waves.

5. How is radioactive decay used in practical applications?

Radioactive decay has many practical applications, such as in medical treatments, power generation, and dating techniques. Radioactive isotopes can be used to diagnose and treat diseases, while nuclear power plants use the heat generated by radioactive decay to produce electricity. Isotopes with known half-lives can also be used to determine the age of objects, such as fossils or archaeological artifacts.