Modeling Radioactive Decay: Solving an IVP for a Series of Three Elements

In summary, the problem was to create a mathematical model of a radioactive series of three elements. X, Y, and Z. At time zero there are 100e moles of element X. After two hours there are exactly 100 moles each of elements X and Y. The problem was to solve the IVP and calculate the number of moles for each of the three elements after 1 hour and 5 hours.
nate9519
1. The Problem

Construct a mathematical model (system of differential equations) for a radioactive series of 3 elements. X,Y, and Z (Z is a stable element). (Note: W decays into X, X decays into Y, and Y decays into Z). At time zero there are 100e (approx. 271.828) moles of element X. After two hours there are exactly 100 moles each of elements X and Y. Solve the IVP and calculate the number of moles for each of the three elements after i) 1 hour and ii) 5 hours

2. Homework Equations

dw/dt = kW
dx/dt = kW - cX
dy/dt = cX - aY
dz/dt = aY
( k ,c ,and a are all different constants)
x(0) = 100e
x(2) = 100
y(2) = 100 3. Attempt at solution

Im posting this to see if i have my system set up correctly. I am not looking for an answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
nate9519 said:
1. The Problem

Construct a mathematical model (system of differential equations) for a radioactive series of 3 elements. X,Y, and Z (Z is a stable element). (Note: W decays into X, X decays into Y, and Y decays into Z). At time zero there are 100e (approx. 271.828) moles of element X. After two hours there are exactly 100 moles each of elements X and Y. Solve the IVP and calculate the number of moles for each of the three elements after i) 1 hour and ii) 5 hours

2. Homework Equations

dw/dt = kW
dx/dt = kW - cX
dy/dt = cX - aY
dz/dt = aY
( k ,c ,and a are all different constants)
x(0) = 100e
x(2) = 100
y(2) = 100

3. Attempt at solution

Im posting this to see if i have my system set up correctly. I am not looking for an answer.

Looks good to me, except for the first equation: dw/dt = -kw, which I suspect is a typo. [Note adding up all of the rates gives you conservation of atoms, d[W+X+Y+Z]/dt = 0, and you won't get this unless the first equation is -kw.]

Quantum Defect said:
Looks good to me, except for the first equation: dw/dt = -kw, which I suspect is a typo. [Note adding up all of the rates gives you conservation of atoms, d[W+X+Y+Z]/dt = 0, and you won't get this unless the first equation is -kw.]
would kW in dx/dt need to be negative also? and would dz/dt need to be negative?

No and no. kW is the rate of formation of x from W. dz/dt is the rate of accumulation of z, in this case simply from Y without any further decay.

You really should decide what symbol you are going to use for w, x, y, z, CAPS or lower case. - could that have helped confuse you?

1. What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus loses energy by emitting radiation, ultimately resulting in the transformation of one element into another.

2. What causes radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is caused by the unstable nature of certain types of atoms, specifically those with an excess of energy or an excess of neutrons in their nucleus. These atoms undergo spontaneous changes in order to achieve a more stable state, resulting in the release of energy in the form of radiation.

3. How is the rate of radioactive decay measured?

The rate of radioactive decay is commonly measured using the half-life, which is the amount of time it takes for half of the atoms in a sample to decay. This measurement is based on probability and can vary depending on the type of radioactive element.

4. What are the different types of radioactive decay?

The three main types of radioactive decay are alpha decay, beta decay, and gamma decay. In alpha decay, an alpha particle (two protons and two neutrons) is emitted from the nucleus. In beta decay, a beta particle (either an electron or a positron) is emitted from the nucleus. In gamma decay, a high-energy photon is emitted from the nucleus.

5. How is radioactive decay used in everyday life?

Radioactive decay has many practical applications in everyday life, such as in nuclear power plants, medical imaging and treatments, and carbon dating techniques. It is also used in industrial processes, such as food preservation and sterilization, and in smoke detectors. However, it is important to handle and dispose of radioactive materials properly to avoid potential health and environmental risks.