Help with Ratios: Splitting 500 bucks

• Thread starter TSN79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratios
In summary, the conversation discusses splitting 500 bucks between two people in different ratios and clarifies the concept of ratio. One person gets 3 parts of x while the other gets 5 parts of y.
TSN79
Hi!
I have a supposedly simple question. Two people are splitting 500 bucks between them. First it will be split in a 3/5 ratio. Wouldn't the answer just be that one them gets 200 and the other gets 300? I think so.

So, following this last thought, if it is to be split in a 2/3 ratio, wouldn't one get 500*(2/3)=333,33 and then the rest (166,66) goes to the other one?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you arrive at your first answer? And for the numbers you gave, do they reveal a ratio of 3:5?

I'll add on to my post a little bit. For the first part, you are supposed to give two values that up to 500, and who's ratio's are 3:5. That means that once you get your two numbers, they should reduce down to 3/5.

How about looking at it like this?

[tex]x+y=500[/tex]
[tex]\frac{x}{y}=\frac{3}{5}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, in the first case I take 500*(3/5)=300. And the rest (200) goes to the other guy. Apparently the answer to the second one is that they get 312,5 and 187,5. I don't get that.

Look at the above post for a hint. Once you understand the process, apply the same method to your second problem.

Hey thanks. So am I interpreting the concept of ratio wrong? Doesn't 3/5 mean that one is to get 3/5 of the sum, and the remaining 2/5 goes to the other?

It means that for every 3 parts of x, y will have 5 parts, where [tex]\frac{x}{y}=\frac{3}{5}[/tex]

Use the method I showed you in my first post to solve the question. You can't just multiply the sum by the ratio.

TSN79 said:
Hey thanks. So am I interpreting the concept of ratio wrong? Doesn't 3/5 mean that one is to get 3/5 of the sum, and the remaining 2/5 goes to the other?

No, it doesn't. That's a "2 to 3" ratio. "3 to 5" ratio would be 3/8 and 5/8.

1. What is a ratio?

A ratio is a mathematical comparison of two numbers or quantities. It shows the relationship between the two values and is typically expressed as a fraction or using the "colon" notation (e.g. 1:2).

2. How do I split 500 bucks into a ratio?

To split 500 bucks into a ratio, you first need to determine how many parts you want to split it into. For example, if you want to split it into 3 parts, you would divide 500 by 3 to get 166.67. This means that each part will be 166.67 bucks. You can then express this as a ratio, such as 166.67:166.67:166.67.

3. How do I simplify a ratio?

To simplify a ratio, you need to find the greatest common factor (GCF) of the two numbers in the ratio. Then, divide both numbers by the GCF to get the simplified ratio. For example, if the ratio is 6:12, the GCF is 6, so the simplified ratio would be 1:2.

4. Can ratios be used for unequal distributions?

Yes, ratios can be used for unequal distributions. For example, if you want to split 500 bucks into a ratio of 2:3:5, you would first find the total number of parts (2+3+5=10). Then, you can determine the value of each part by dividing 500 by 10, which would be 50 bucks. This means that the first person would get 2x50=100 bucks, the second person would get 3x50=150 bucks, and the third person would get 5x50=250 bucks.

5. How can ratios be used in real life?

Ratios are used in many real-life situations, such as cooking, finance, and sports. In cooking, ratios are used to scale recipes up or down. In finance, ratios are used to analyze financial statements and make investment decisions. In sports, ratios are used to compare players' performance and determine rankings. Ratios are also commonly used in manufacturing, construction, and scientific experiments.