Reciprocal Lattices and Ewald Sphere: Solving for a* and c* in a Tetragonal Cell

• Thread starter PhysicsKid99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reciprocal
In summary, the individual is seeking assistance with drawing a reciprocal lattice of a tetragonal cell with specific parameters and a body-centred lattice. They also need help with finding the values for a* and c* in order to draw an Ewald sphere with a given lambda. However, their attempted solution appears to be incorrect and they are requesting assistance with finding the correct values.
PhysicsKid99

Homework Statement

I have to draw a reciprocal lattice of a tetragonal cell with parameters a=3A and c=5A, a body-centred lattice. How do I find a* and c*? I also have to draw an Ewald sphere, and lamda=1.5. However, if I use my solutions (I think they're wrong, see below) I get something that is impossible to draw because the scale is huge.

Homework Equations

Radius of E sphere= 1/lamda

The Attempt at a Solution

a*=1/9 and c*= 1/25, the radius= 2/3

Physics news on Phys.org
Not an area I know anything about, but from a little reading it seems the reciprocal lattice will be a face-centred tetragonal lattice, yes?
The parameters are obtained by dividing vector cross products by the scalar triple product.
Please post your working for your attempted solution. (I get a different answer.)

What is a reciprocal lattice?

A reciprocal lattice is a mathematical construct used in crystallography to describe the periodicity of a crystal lattice in reciprocal space. It is the Fourier transform of the direct lattice and is useful for understanding the diffraction patterns of crystals.

Why is the reciprocal lattice important?

The reciprocal lattice is important because it provides a convenient way to describe the diffraction patterns of crystals. It also allows us to relate the properties of the crystal lattice to its diffraction pattern, making it a valuable tool for understanding the structure of crystalline materials.

How is the reciprocal lattice related to the direct lattice?

The reciprocal lattice is mathematically related to the direct lattice through the Fourier transform. This means that the reciprocal lattice can be derived from the direct lattice, and vice versa. The reciprocal lattice is essentially a representation of the direct lattice in reciprocal space.

What is the significance of the reciprocal lattice vectors?

The reciprocal lattice vectors have several important roles. They define the periodicity of the reciprocal lattice and are used to calculate the diffraction angles and intensities in a crystal diffraction pattern. They also provide a way to describe the symmetry and properties of the crystal lattice.

How can the reciprocal lattice be visualized?

The reciprocal lattice can be visualized as a grid of points in reciprocal space, with each point representing a diffraction spot in a crystal diffraction pattern. It can also be visualized as a set of planes intersecting at angles determined by the reciprocal lattice vectors. Various computer programs and simulations can also be used to visualize the reciprocal lattice.