How Do You Balance the Redox Reaction Involving C2H5OH and I3-?

• Thread starter Themaster711
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Redox
In summary, Homework Statement C2H5OH(aq) + I3-(aq) → I-(aq) + CO2(g) + CHO2-(aq) + CHI3(aq)The Attempt at a SolutionI am stuck on how to get C to combine with I in CHI3. Thanks.
Themaster711

Homework Statement

C2H5OH(aq) + I3-(aq) → I-(aq) + CO2(g) + CHO2-(aq) + CHI3(aq)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck on how to get C to combine with I in CHI3. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean in terms of oxidation numbers? Which is more electronegative - carbon, or iodine?

I am trying to balance it in acidic solution. Sorry I forgot to add that. I do not know which is more electronegative. We haven't learned that.

Please elaborate then on what your problem is - I don't understand what you mean by "how to get C to combine with I". Show - step by step - how you approach the problem.

To be able to solve the problems of redox balancing, you need to know at least two things:

1.) Some prefixed rules in determining the oxidation number of some select few elements.

2.) Oxidation states and most stable oxidation states of various elements.

If you know these two things, balancing is an easy affair.

Most redox problems are easy... But this one is different. I solved every other one with no problem but I'm not sure how to do the half reactions for this one.

Can you see the structure of CHI3 - Iodoform. You can then apply the rules you may have learned to determine the oxidation number on C.

How should I split the half reactions?

HINT: Both half reactions uses Ethanol at reactant side.

HINT: Can you break this question into two different redox reactions? I am pretty sure there are multiple redox reactions going on. (Why?)

Last edited:
Thank you. I'll try that.

AGNuke is right - this reaction can't be balanced in an unambiguous way.

I tried splitting this into:
C2H5OH + I3- > CO2 +I-
C2H5OH + I3- > CHO2- + CHI3

That didn't work, so I tried:

C2H5OH + I3- > CO2 + CHI3
C2H5OH + I3- > CHO2- + I-

I also couldn't solve it like this. Could someone show me what my half-reactions should be and I am sure I can take it from there. Thanks

CHO2- = Formate ion?

From what I tried, this equation can't be solved. I tried very hard but I can't solve it.

So have I. I also believe it can't be solved but it's in my textbook. I don't know what else to do.

Is this is written CHO2- or CHO2-?

It can't be balanced because it is in fact sum of two reactions, each can be balanced separately:

2C2H5OH + 9I3- -> 18I- + CO2 + 3CHI3 + 9H+

2C2H5OH + 8I3- -> 15I- + HCOO- + 3CHI3 + 8H+

Now, you can add them side by side:

4C2H5OH + 17I3- -> 33I- + CO2 + HCOO- + 6CHI3 + 17H+

Technically this is a balanced reaction, but this approach doesn't yield unique equation, as any linear combination of these reactions will still look balanced, for example:

136C2H5OH + 595I3- -> 1173I- + 51CO2 + 17HCOO- + 204CHI3 + 595H+

but no real mixture will follow this stoichiometry.

Ah. Infinite solutions. I made a silly mistake in determining the equation no. 1. XD

I will post the equation in a different format to avoid confusion:

C2H5OH(aq) + I3-(aq) → I-(aq) + CO2(g) + CHO2-(aq) + CHI3(aq)

cleared Borek! Couldn't see this up

What is a redox equation?

A redox equation is a type of chemical equation that shows the transfer of electrons between reactants in a chemical reaction. It involves the oxidation and reduction of species, hence the name "redox" which stands for reduction-oxidation.

How do you balance a redox equation?

To balance a redox equation, you need to follow these steps:

1. Determine the oxidation numbers of each element in the reactants and products.
  2. Identify the element that is being oxidized and the one being reduced.
  3. Write half-reactions for the oxidation and reduction processes.
  4. Balance the atoms in each half-reaction by adding the appropriate coefficients.
  5. Balance the charges in each half-reaction by adding electrons.
  6. Combine the half-reactions and cancel out any common terms.
  7. Check that the charges and number of atoms are balanced on both sides of the equation.

What are the rules for assigning oxidation numbers?

The following rules can be used to assign oxidation numbers to elements in a redox equation:

1. Free elements have an oxidation number of 0.
  2. The oxidation number of a monatomic ion is equal to its charge.
  3. The sum of oxidation numbers in a neutral compound is 0.
  4. The sum of oxidation numbers in a polyatomic ion equals the charge of the ion.
  5. In most compounds, the more electronegative element has a negative oxidation number.
  6. The oxidation number of oxygen in most compounds is -2 (except in peroxides where it is -1).
  7. The oxidation number of hydrogen in most compounds is +1 (except in metal hydrides where it is -1).

What are the key differences between oxidation and reduction?

Oxidation and reduction are two opposite processes that occur simultaneously in a redox reaction. Oxidation involves the loss of electrons and an increase in oxidation number, while reduction involves the gain of electrons and a decrease in oxidation number. Another key difference is that oxidation releases energy, while reduction requires energy.

What are some real-world applications of redox equations?

Redox equations have many real-world applications, including:

• Batteries and fuel cells, which use redox reactions to generate electricity.
  • Corrosion, which is a form of oxidation that can damage metals.
  • Photosynthesis, which is a redox reaction that converts sunlight into chemical energy in plants.
  • Metabolism, which involves many redox reactions to produce energy for cells.
  • Water treatment, where redox reactions can be used to remove pollutants from water.