Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with reduction method.

1. Mar 22, 2004 #1
    I can't seem to properly solve this problem:

ty" - (1+t) y' + y= t^2 e^(2t) , t> 0; ysub1= 1+t

any help would be appreciated

Last edited: Mar 22, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I wonder if you are even clear on what the problem is since you didn't state it completely.

The problem is, I would guess, "Find the general solution to ty" - (1+t) y' + y= t^2 e^(2t) for t> 0, given that y1= 1+t is a solution to the associated homogeneous differential equation".

You did title this thread "help with reduction method" so you should understand what to do now. Since the equation is a non-homogeneous linear second order d.e., we need to find another solution to the associated homogeneous equation.

Using "reduction of order", we look for a solution of the form
    y(t)= (1+t)u(t): the know solution multiplied by an unknown function u. Now y'= (1+t)u'+ u and y"= (1+t)u"+ 2u'. Putting those into the original equation:
    ty"= t(1+t)u"+ 2tu'
    -(1+t)y'= -(1+t)2u'- (1+t)u
    y = (1+t)u
    so ty"-(1+t)y'+ y= t(1+t)u"+(2t- 1- 2t- t2)u'=0
    = t(1+t)u"-(t2+1)u'= 0
    The fact that 1+t was itself a solution to the d.e. meant that while we have u" and u' we do not have u explicitely in the equation. Let
    v= u' and the equation is t(1+t)v'- (t2+1)v= 0, a first order equation: we have reduced the order.

In fact, t(1+t)v'- (t2+1)u'= 0 is a separable equation: it can be integrated directly. Then replace v with u' and integrate again. That will give the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation. Finally, you can use "variation of parameters", which is very similar, to find a specific solution to the entire equation.

4. Mar 25, 2004 #3

i'm glad you decided to help, but your belittling was unwelcome. i figured this problem out already using the variation of parameters. thank you anyway. and i did fully understand the problem and it was stated that way. it is understood that y1 is the solution to the homogenous equation. where else would it have come from? i do appreciate your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?