1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Related Rates

1. Dec 4, 2013 #1
    The base of a pyramid-shaped tank is a square with sides of length 12 feet, and the vertex of the pyramid is 10 feet above the base. The tank is filled to a depth of 4 feet, and water is flowing into the tank at the rate of 2 cubic feet per minute. Find the rate of change of the depth of water in the tank. (Hint: The volume of a pyramid is given by V=(1/3)Bh where B is the area of the base and h is the height of the pyramid.)

The answer in the back of the book is 25/648.

I got 25/162.

I think the book made a mistake, but I'm not sure. Can I get any confirmation?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2013 #2
    Nevermind!!! Got it!!

4. Dec 4, 2013 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

In the future, if you work a problem and get a different answer than the book's answer, please show the work you did to get your answer. Telling us that you got one answer and the book got another answer forces us to work the problem, which could be more usefully spent helping someone else who has shown his or her work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted