How Close Must Two Electrons Be to Make Their Combined Mass Sevenfold?

• Thread starter onikishi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the conversation discussed the setup and calculations for finding the distance at which two stationary electrons would have a total mass 7 times their rest mass. Corrections were made to the equation and the correct value for r was found to be 1.38e-11 meters. It is important to double check equations and units for consistency when solving problems like this.
onikishi
How close would two stationary electrons have to be positioned so that their total mass is 7 times what it is when the electrons are very far apart?

Here's my setup:

2mC^2 is the energy of the 2 electrons when they're far apart.
2mC^2 + kqq/r^2 is the energy of the 2 electrons when they're close.
Since the mass is 7 times the far apart mass:

14mC^2= 2mC^2 + kqq/r^2

m = mass of electron = 9.11e-31
k = 8.99e9
q = 1.6e-19
C = 3e8

at the end I got r = 1.53e-8 meters... but that's wrong...
can anyone tell me where I messed up?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for sharing your setup and calculations! Here are some corrections that might help you find where you went wrong:

1. The equation for the total energy of two electrons at a distance r is E = 2mC^2 + kqq/r. The 2mC^2 term only accounts for the rest energy of the two electrons, while the second term takes into account their electrostatic potential energy.

2. Since we are looking for the distance at which the total mass is 7 times the rest mass, we can set the two energies equal to each other: 2mC^2 + kqq/r = 7(2mC^2). This gives us kqq/r = 6mC^2.

3. Next, we can substitute the values for k, q, and C, and solve for r: (8.99e9)(1.6e-19)^2/r = 6(9.11e-31)(3e8)^2. This gives us r = 1.38e-11 meters, which is much smaller than your previous answer of 1.53e-8 meters.

I hope this helps! Just remember to double check your equations and units to make sure everything is consistent. Good luck!

for reaching out for help with your relativity problem. It seems like you have set up the equations correctly and have the correct values for the mass of the electron, the Coulomb constant, the charge of the electron, and the speed of light. However, it is important to note that the equation you used, 2mC^2 + kqq/r^2, is the total energy of the system, not the total mass. In order to find the total mass, you would need to use the famous equation E=mc^2 and solve for m.

So, the equation you should be using is m = (2m + kqq/r^2)/c^2. Substituting the values, we get:

m = (2*9.11e-31 + 8.99e9*1.6e-19/(1.53e-8)^2)/ (3e8)^2

m = 2.020e-31 kg

Therefore, the total mass of the two electrons when they are close together would be 2.020e-31 kg, which is approximately 0.22 times the mass of a single electron. This means that the two electrons would have to be positioned approximately 1.53e-8 meters apart in order for their total mass to be 7 times what it is when they are far apart.

I hope this helps clarify where you may have made a mistake. Keep up the good work with your calculations!

1. What is relativity?

Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in all frames of reference.

2. What is a relativity problem?

A relativity problem is a physics problem that involves applying the principles of relativity to solve for a specific unknown variable or concept.

3. How can I solve a relativity problem?

To solve a relativity problem, you will need to understand the basic principles of relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction. You will also need to use mathematical equations, such as the Lorentz transformation, to calculate the desired quantity.

4. What are some common misconceptions about relativity?

Some common misconceptions about relativity include thinking that it only applies to objects moving at high speeds or that it only applies to large objects. In reality, relativity can be applied to all objects, regardless of size or speed.

5. Why is relativity important?

Relativity is important because it revolutionized our understanding of the universe and has practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, space travel, and GPS technology. It also led to the development of other important theories, such as quantum mechanics.