Calculate Copper Conductor Resistance with Varying Radius | 2m Length

• Thread starter FatoonsBaby71
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the conversation is about determining the resistance of a copper conductor with a changing radius. The correct answer is 2.20mΩ, but the person is getting 2.20*10^-9 as their answer. They have tried converting everything to meters and using the correct equation, but are still getting the wrong answer. Someone suggests checking the units and using the equation in terms of conductivity instead of resistivity. The correct answer is found in a book as 6.38, but the person is unsure why it is different. They thank the others for their help.
FatoonsBaby71
Help with resistance!

Homework Statement

Determine the resistance of a copper conductor 2m long with a circular cross section and a radius of 1mm at one end increasing linearly to a radius of 5mm at the other.

Homework Equations

R = ( 1 / 2pi * sigma * length ) * ln (b/a)

sigma = conductivity of copper 58 Mega

The Attempt at a Solution

Well the correct answer is 2.20mOHms
I use the equation above and I get 2.20 * 10^-9. I can't figure out why the order is off. Does anyone see something I am missing?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Try converting everything to m
if you are off by a factor of 10^6 and a mm is 10^-3 of a metre and an area (ie a squared) is involved this should give you some clues

I was actually doing this from the start...because i changed the three and five to meters, I still get the -9 power answer? its not the ln part of the equation its the other part??

FatoonsBaby71 said:
Well the correct answer is 2.20mOHms
I use the equation above and I get 2.20 * 10^-9.
I get the same answer as you (and the equation is correct).

Are you sure that the correct answer isn't supposed to be in nΩ (nano Ohms) not mΩ?

hi. did u try:
R= (Resistivity)*[L/A]
1/Conductivity=Resistivity
L=length of wire
A= cross-sectional area of wire

Resistivity of Copper= 1.69 * 10^-8 Ohm*meter

greenday1260 said:
Resistivity of Copper= 1.69 * 10^-8 Ohm*meter
The above equation is in terms of conductivity, which is the inverse of resistivity.

1. How is copper conductor resistance calculated?

Copper conductor resistance is calculated using the formula R = (ρ x L)/A, where R is resistance in ohms, ρ is the resistivity of copper (1.68 x 10^-8 ohm-meters), L is the length of the conductor in meters, and A is the cross-sectional area of the conductor in square meters.

2. What is the unit of measurement for copper conductor resistance?

The unit of measurement for copper conductor resistance is ohms (Ω).

3. How does varying the radius of a copper conductor affect its resistance?

As the radius of a copper conductor increases, its resistance decreases. This is because a larger radius means a greater cross-sectional area, which allows for more space for electrons to flow through, resulting in lower resistance.

4. Why is the length of the conductor included in the resistance calculation?

The length of the conductor is included in the resistance calculation because the longer the conductor, the more resistance it will have. This is due to the fact that electrons have to travel a longer distance, resulting in more collisions and a higher resistance.

5. Can the formula for calculating copper conductor resistance be applied to other materials?

Yes, the formula can be applied to other materials as long as the resistivity (ρ) value is known for that material. However, the resistivity will differ for each material, so the specific value will need to be used in the calculation.