Help with Physics REU List for Sophomore Female Student

• Programs
  • Thread starter burntclaw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    List Reu
In summary, the person is applying to 12 different physics REUs for the summer and is seeking advice on their list and general REU application tips. They have a 4.0 GPA and research experience, and are interested in computational physics and going to grad school. The conversation also discusses the potential impact of COVID on the programs and the process of asking for letters of recommendation. The expert recommends focusing on quality over quantity in applications and tailoring letters of recommendation to each opportunity.
burntclaw
Hi all,

Whoever's reading this, I hope you are well! I'm applying to 12 different physics REUs for the summer and only recently became aware of how competitive they were. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me with my current REU list– is the list too unrealistic? Are there other places you would recommend? Any general advice with REU apps would be appreciated.

My current list is REUs at LSU, U Rochester, UMD TREND, UC Davis, NIST SURF, UChicago, BYU, Oklahoma State, LSU computational, UIUC, and Lehigh.

For reference, I'm a sophomore, female, physics/cs major at a small liberal arts college. I have a 4.0 GPA and some research experience.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Twelve programs seems like a lot to me. Though I'm not too familiar with the specifics of REU programs and I can appreciate trying to play the numbers game. But don't you typically require some letters of reference for them? Are you going to ask a professor to write you twelve letters of reference? How much time and effort are you putting into investigating each opportunity?

You've listed them by location - but what will you be doing at each potential placement? How are the programs changed from recent years with social distancing restrictions? What fields would you like to be doing research in? What skills would you like to get out of such an experience? What are your plans for graduate school?

I guess the point is that before shot-gunning the process and handing in a lot of mediocre applications, it can help to really learn about each opportunity and when the best fit is likely to be. And perhaps develop a sense of what your personal goals are. You might find for example, that a summer job working for a local professor at your own school will outweigh any experience you might gain by the formal REUs.

Likes berkeman and burntclaw
Choppy said:
Twelve programs seems like a lot to me. Though I'm not too familiar with the specifics of REU programs and I can appreciate trying to play the numbers game. But don't you typically require some letters of reference for them? Are you going to ask a professor to write you twelve letters of reference? How much time and effort are you putting into investigating each opportunity?

You've listed them by location - but what will you be doing at each potential placement? How are the programs changed from recent years with social distancing restrictions? What fields would you like to be doing research in? What skills would you like to get out of such an experience? What are your plans for graduate school?

I guess the point is that before shot-gunning the process and handing in a lot of mediocre applications, it can help to really learn about each opportunity and when the best fit is likely to be. And perhaps develop a sense of what your personal goals are. You might find for example, that a summer job working for a local professor at your own school will outweigh any experience you might gain by the formal REUs.

Thanks for the reply! I'm currently extremely interested in doing computational physics research and going to grad school in the future. The schools I've listed have computational physics projects offerings, which is why I'm applying. I'm particularly interested in UMD TREND and LSU Computational because of this. However, I fully admit I am also shotgunning a little with the numbers. As for programs being virtual due to COVID, I don't mind doing remote research, as the research area I'm interested in can be done remotely without any problems.

I was worried about annoying my letter of rec writers with 12 applications, but my impression is that they only need to write 1 and then send it out to 12 instead of writing 12 separate ones. What are your thoughts on that? Is that still a bad thing to ask a professor to do? Thanks in advance.

As hinted above, I usually recommend students focus on a high level of quality in their applications for a smaller number of opportunities. This allows the student to better target their essays and application materials to each opportunity and also allows recommendation writers to target their recommendations.

Likes burntclaw
burntclaw said:
I was worried about annoying my letter of rec writers with 12 applications, but my impression is that they only need to write 1 and then send it out to 12 instead of writing 12 separate ones. What are your thoughts on that? Is that still a bad thing to ask a professor to do? Thanks in advance.

Asking for 12 letters tends to motivate recommenders to send out the same letter. My preferred approach as a recommender is to tailor each letter of recommendation to the specific opportunity. I both take care to name the specific opportunity in my recommendation letters as well as highlight how the student's skills and strengths are a good match for the specific program to which they are applying. I write different things in support of an application for a computational opportunity than I would for an experimental opportunity. Even for different experimental opportunities, I like to focus on the student strengths that are the best match (assuming I know the student well enough to have choices here.) The less specific a letter of recommendation becomes, the less powerful it's impact is likely to be for the student.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and burntclaw
Dr. Courtney said:
Asking for 12 letters tends to motivate recommenders to send out the same letter. My preferred approach as a recommender is to tailor each letter of recommendation to the specific opportunity. I both take care to name the specific opportunity in my recommendation letters as well as highlight how the student's skills and strengths are a good match for the specific program to which they are applying. I write different things in support of an application for a computational opportunity than I would for an experimental opportunity. Even for different experimental opportunities, I like to focus on the student strengths that are the best match (assuming I know the student well enough to have choices here.) The less specific a letter of recommendation becomes, the less powerful it's impact is likely to be for the student.

That makes a lot of sense. I'll keep that in mind in the future when I apply to programs. For this time around, unfortunately I already asked for the recommendations, so I can only delete programs where the professors haven't send the letters of recs to yet (I think...? I'm scared of asking them again about it haha). I've narrowed down my list to 8 currently.

Thank you so much for your insight, I haven't thought about the points you brought up before!

Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:
burntclaw said:
For reference, I'm a sophomore, female, physics/cs major at a small liberal arts college. I have a 4.0 GPA and some research experience.
Congrats on the strong GPA!
burntclaw said:
UC Davis
My alma matter. It looks like they are shooting for in-person REUs this summer, assuming that vaccinations go well. Do you have a bicycle that you can take with you? The campus is closed to cars, and everybody gets around on bicycles... :smile:

https://london.physics.ucdavis.edu/~reu/reu.html

1611433759057.png

• Informative
Likes Dr. Courtney

1. What is an REU in Physics?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) in Physics is a program funded by the National Science Foundation that provides undergraduate students with the opportunity to participate in research projects at universities and institutions across the country.

2. How can a sophomore female student find REU opportunities in Physics?

There are several ways for a sophomore female student to find REU opportunities in Physics. One way is to search for programs on the National Science Foundation's website or through university websites. Another way is to network with professors and peers to learn about potential opportunities.

3. What are the benefits of participating in an REU in Physics?

Participating in an REU in Physics can provide valuable research experience, exposure to cutting-edge technology and techniques, networking opportunities, and potential publication or presentation opportunities. It can also help students gain a better understanding of their interests and career goals.

4. Are there any specific REU programs for female students in Physics?

While there are no specific REU programs exclusively for female students in Physics, many programs have a focus on promoting diversity and inclusion in STEM fields, and may have a higher percentage of female participants. Additionally, some universities and institutions offer women-only REU programs in various STEM fields.

5. Is it necessary to have prior research experience to apply for an REU in Physics?

No, prior research experience is not always necessary to apply for an REU in Physics. While some programs may require it, many are designed for students who have little to no research experience. It is important to carefully read the program requirements and eligibility criteria before applying.