What are the variables in Roark's formulas for stress and strain?

• Thread starter kieren12345
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding explanations for variables in Roark's formulas for stress and strain, specifically for a situation involving two circular plates and a cavity. The variables mentioned include b/a, ro/a, yb, mrb, ya, and mra. The conversation also mentions the use of online calculators and the recommendation to verify results with hand calculations or spreadsheets.
kieren12345
I have an old book on roarks formulas for stress and strain. Which seams to have the formulas I need but it doesn't have explanation of what the variables are. I am a mechanical engineer but have not studied Roarks.

Does anyone know the following?
b/a
ro/a
yb
mrb
ya
mra

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you mean "nomenclature."

It's impossible to tell you anything about the variables you have listed without seeing the equation in which they are presented.

Thank you for correcting me there.

the formula I have is
yb=0
0b=0
ya=0
0a=0

mrb=-wa(C3L6-C6L3)/(C2C6-C3C5)
Qb=w(C2L6-C5L3)/(C2C6-C3C5)
mra=MrbC8+QbaC9-waL3
Qa=Qb(b/a)-(wRo/a)

any help?

Please list the table or section to which you are referring.

kieren12345 said:
I have an old book on roarks formulas for stress and strain. Which seams to have the formulas I need but it doesn't have explanation of what the variables are. I am a mechanical engineer but have not studied Roarks.

Does anyone know the following?
b/a
ro/a
yb
mrb
ya
mra

Thanks
It would help to see what section (and edition of the book) you're referring to, but it looks like a flat, circular plate.

b is a radial dimension (see figure in book)
a is a radial dimension (see figure in book)
so b/a is a ratio of the radial dimensions.
ro is also a radial dimension (generally to a line of load)
mrb refers to a radial moment at b
mra refers to a radial moment at a

mrb=-wa(C3L6-C6L3)/(C2C6-C3C5)
w is a linear load
C2, C3, C5, C6, L3, L6 are all constants. There will be a table for these constants at the beginning of the table you're looking at for the specific geometry.
etc...

If you can be more specific (what table are you using, what edition of the book, etc) it would help.

Please see attached word doc.

thanks

to explain abit better. I have two circular plates that is bolted to an internal and external ring, so that there is a cavity inbetween. We are giong to pressurise this cavity to 10bar and see how an internal elastomer reacts. One of the end plates is steel and one is plexiglas.

Please see 2nd attachment for drg.

attached

Kieren12345,

Nothing is attached.

I use Roark's book about once a week. All the C's and other constants can be confusing.

At the Roark website there is an online calculator. I have never used it so make sure you run some test cases and verify with some hand calcs that the program is producing the correct results.

http://www.roarksformulas.com/

Thanks
Matt

CFDFEAGURU said:
... make sure you run some test cases and verify with some hand calcs that the program is producing the correct results.
This is a good point, I meant to bring it up. If you do the calc per Roark, you might consider posting your input, the case used, and the output. It's easy enough for people that use Roark to verify your calculations are correct. I have spreadsheets for many of the circular plates and also access to all the cases on Mathcad.

1. What is Roark's nomolecular theory?

Roark's nomolecular theory is a scientific concept proposed by Dr. John Roark that explains the behavior of molecules at a microscopic level. It states that the properties and interactions of molecules can be predicted based on their size, shape, and relative positions.

2. How does Roark's nomolecular theory help in scientific research?

Roark's nomolecular theory is used in various scientific fields, such as chemistry, biology, and materials science, to understand and predict the behavior of molecules. It provides a framework for studying the properties and interactions of molecules, which can lead to the development of new materials and technologies.

3. Are there any limitations to Roark's nomolecular theory?

Like any scientific theory, Roark's nomolecular theory has its limitations. It is based on simplifying assumptions and may not accurately predict the behavior of complex molecules or systems. Additionally, it does not account for quantum effects, which are important in some situations.

4. How can I apply Roark's nomolecular theory in my research?

If your research involves studying the properties or interactions of molecules, you can use Roark's nomolecular theory to guide your experiments and analysis. It can help you make predictions and understand the results of your research more effectively.

5. Is Roark's nomolecular theory widely accepted in the scientific community?

Roark's nomolecular theory has been widely studied and validated by numerous scientists over the years. While there may be some debate and further research needed in certain areas, it is generally accepted as a valid and useful theory in the scientific community.