1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with rotational dynamics

1. Jan 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/545/rotacion1.jpg/
    Translation: Determinate, for the system of Fig. 10-39 the angular velocity of the disk and the linear velocity of m and m'. Calculate the tension in each string. Suposse that m = 600 g, m' = 500 g, M = 800 g, R = 8 cm and r = 6 cm.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The problem is I don't know to get the moment of inertia because I have the mass of one disk only.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2
    I agree, it looks like you were not given enough information.

One could assume that M was for both discs, but you would still need to know the thicknesses of the two discs which you could estimate if you had to.

Bad problem.

4. Jan 31, 2012 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Solve the problem assuming that M is the mass of the whole pulley that consist of two disk-form parts of the same thickness, made of the same material. Usually the problem writers think in 2D where thickness does not exist.:wink:

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook