Help with Rotations | ODEs in \mathbb{R}^3

• Thread starter Oxymoron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotations
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the local one-parameter group generated by three vector fields in \mathbb{R}^3 and relating it to the rotation group. The link between the commutator of two vector fields and the commutator of their respective flows is also investigated. The conversation concludes with a question about the initial tangent of a curve being the commutator.
Oxymoron
DISCLAIMER: I would like to post a few things about what I am studying. Hopefully by writing all this I will get a better idea of it. There will probably be a few mistakes. Please feel free to comment on anything I said or add your own point of view, I'd love to hear it!

I have three vector fields in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] given by

[tex]U=y\partial_z - z\partial_y[/tex]
[tex]V=z\partial_x - x\partial_z[/tex]
[tex]W=x\partial_y - y\partial_x[/tex]

I wish to find the local one-parameter group generated (or flow if you prefer) by [itex]U,V,W[/itex].

Now I thought that you could do this by solving an ODE for each vector field. For example, for U, we should have a coupled ODE...

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = -z[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dz}{dt} = y[/tex]

Similarly for V, we have

[tex]\frac{dz}{dt} = -x[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = z[/tex]

and for W we have

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = -y[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = x[/tex]

So we have three coupled first order linear differential equations.

Assuming we have the following initial conditions,

[tex]x(0) = A, y(0) = B, and z(0) = C[/tex]

the general solutions are (for U)

[tex]z(t) = C\cos t - B\sin t[/tex]
[tex]y(t) = C\sin t + B\cos t[/tex]

and it is easy to see what they are for V and W.

Now this is all easy stuff to do (assuming I got it right! :) ), it is basic ODE stuff. But I want to relate all this to the rotation group...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that I have found what are known as the maximal integral curve for each vector field U,V, and W.

Arbitrary points in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] can be written as column vectors:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}
x\\y\\z\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Lets take the vector field U for the moment. The maximal integral curve is given by the solution to the couple ODE, which is

[tex]z(t) = C\cos t - B\sin t[/tex]
[tex]y(t) = C\sin t + B\cos t[/tex]

Now this is a parametrization of a circle in the y-z axis in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex]. In other words the integral curve of the flow generated by the vector field U is a rotation in the y-z axis. So the curve rotates the y and z points but leaves the x coordinate alone. In other words, this is a transformation and can be written as a 3x3 rotation matrix, denoted by [itex]\bold{R}_U[/itex],

[tex][\bold{R}_U] = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}
\cos t & -\sin t & 0 \\
\sin t & \cos t & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 \\
\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Last edited:
Now, for V and W we have similar rotation matrices

[tex][\bold{R}_V] = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}
\cos t & 0 & -\sin t \\
0 & 1 & 0 \\
\sin t & 0 & \cos t
\end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex][\bold{R}_W] = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & \cos t & -\sin t \\
0 & \sin t & \cos t
\end{array}\right)[/tex]

What I want to investigate now is the link between the commutator (or Lie bracket) of two vector fields and the commutator of their respective flows.

I was taught that a flow is a map

[tex]\sigma\,:\,\mathbb{R}\times M\rightarrow M[/tex]

generated by [itex]X\in\mathcal{X}(M)[/itex], which satisfies

[tex]\sigma(t,\sigma^{\mu}(s,x_0)) = \sigma(t+s,x_0)[/itex]

which I imagine emphasizes the fact that if a particle is observed in a fluid (such as a flowing river) at a point x at t=0, then it will be found at [itex]\sigma(t,x)[/itex] at a late time t.

Now, given my vector field

[tex]U = z\partial_y - y\partial_z[/tex]

it is easy to see that

[tex]\sigma(t,(x,y)) = (x\cos t - y \sin t, x \sin t + y \cos t)[/tex]

is a flow generated by U (obviously not written as a column vector). The flow through some point [itex](x,y)[/itex] is a circle with center at the origin.

Exactly the same can be said about V and W.

If we fix [itex]t\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] then a flow [itex]\sigma[/itex] is actually a diffeomorphism from M to M. But most importantly, the flow can be made into a commutative group by enforcing the following rules

[tex]\sigma_t(\sigma_s(x)) = \sigma_{t+s}(x)[/tex]
[tex]\sigma_0[/tex] is the identity map
[tex]\sigma_{-t} = (\sigma_t)^{-1}[/tex]

This commutative group is called the one-parameter group of transformations. It is isomorphic to [itex]\mathfrak{SO}_2[/itex], which is the multiplicative group of 2x2 real matrices of the form

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}
\cos\theta & -\sin\theta \\
\sin\theta & \cos\theta
\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Now let's consider two vector fields at the same time, say U and V. U and V are vector fields on a differentiable manifold M, and they generate flows [itex]\psi_{\sqrt{t}}[/itex] and [itex]\phi_{\sqrt{t}}[/itex]. Let [itex]C_t[/itex] be the curve through [itex]p\in M[/itex] defined by

[tex]C_t = \psi_{-\sqrt{t}} \circ\phi_{-\sqrt{t}} \circ \psi_{\sqrt{t}} \circ \phi_{\sqrt{t}}[/tex]

which I take to mean traveling along the four sides of a parallelogram via two push-forward maps and two pullback maps.

However, it can easily happen that by traversing such curves you don't always end up exactly where you started! That is, the parallelogram may not close by taking such a curve.

My question here is, why then is [itex]\sigma[/itex] a curve whose initial tangent is the commutator? I.e.

[tex]\dot{C}_0(p) = [U,V]_p[/tex]

1. What is a rotation in mathematics?

A rotation in mathematics is a transformation that moves each point in a plane or space by a certain angle around a fixed point called the center of rotation.

2. How do you perform a rotation in three-dimensional space?

To perform a rotation in three-dimensional space, you first need to determine the axis of rotation and the angle of rotation. Then, you can use a rotation matrix or a set of trigonometric functions to calculate the new coordinates of each point after the rotation.

3. What are some real-life applications of rotations and ODEs in three-dimensional space?

Rotations and ODEs (ordinary differential equations) are used in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to model the motion of objects, such as the rotation of a planet around the sun, the movement of a pendulum, or the rotation of a 3D object in a video game or animation.

4. How do you solve ODEs in three-dimensional space?

ODEs in three-dimensional space can be solved using various methods, including analytical methods, numerical methods, and computer simulations. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the ODE and the desired level of accuracy.

5. Are there any common challenges when working with rotations and ODEs in three-dimensional space?

Some common challenges when working with rotations and ODEs in three-dimensional space include visualizing and understanding the three-dimensional transformations, dealing with complex equations and variables, and ensuring the accuracy and stability of numerical solutions.