1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with schedule for this fall

1. Apr 11, 2009 #1
    I've talked to a couple of professors about my schedule this fall and have received conflicting advice, so I'm turning to you, PF.

I'll be starting my junior year as a physics major, but since I co-op I won't actually be taking another physics classes for an entire year after the fall is over (since I'll be working in the following spring and fall and there aren't any physics classes I haven't already taken offered in the summer). My plans after graduation are up in the air right now. I know I want to go to grad school, but I'm not sure what for. I'm leaning towards theoretical condensed matter right now, though, so let's go with that.

The classes I plan on taking for sure are E&M 1, Quantum 1, and a Math Methods for Physics course that covers complex variables and PDEs. I'd like to take two other classes, but I'm very uncertain as to which:

Classical Mechanics 2
    Statistical Mechanics (required for graduation)
    Computational Physics (looks like it mostly focuses on numerical methods)
    Intro Probability and Statistics
    Complex Analysis
    Differential Geometry
    Partial Differential Equations 1

Math classes I've taken so far are Calc 1-3, Diff Eq, a rigorous proof-based class on Linear Algebra, and a "problem solving" course that was basically a smorgasbord of the entire undergrad math curriculum (I wouldn't say I'm familiar with topics like algebra or analysis further than I can throw a rock, though). I've also taken the introductory physics sequence, thermodynamics, classical mechanics 1, and electronics.

Computational physics seems like it would be pretty important since I want to do theory. However, my co-op job involves a lot of programming. I haven't done much with numerical methods yet, but it's definitely probable that I'll have to some time in the next couple of years, so I may just end up learning it on the job anyways.

I also need to keep in mind that I'll have a very heavy workload this fall. There are two 1 hour classes I'll be taking that I haven't mentioned since they're not relevant, and I'll also be doing research and TAing an intro math class. Computational physics is a 4 hour class and would put me at 21 hours - the rest are 3 hour classes. I'm taking 20 hours this semester of all physics and math classes without too much trouble, but TAing = 8-12 hours a week, and I'm not TAing this semester.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted