Self-Learning Help: Discovering Algorithms without a Math Background

In summary: You can find it in 3 volumes, but also in a single volume edition. I have the 3 volume edition on my bookshelf.
WhatHitMe
Hello, I still haven't introduced my self, I'm new here. Since I don't like typing about things on the wrong place I will jump directly into my problem.
I have learned to program at home, I'm familiar with the syntax of C/C++/C#/Java/Python/PHP/HTML & CSS/JavaScript/bash/batch and a little bit of Ada, and I used to learn a little bit of design patterns however for some reason I decided that I will skip algortihms now I want to learn them, but I don't have any mathematical background I mean I'm still in high-school, I want to ask if somebody can recommend me a book about mathematics that I will need to learn algorithms.

Technology news on Phys.org
WhatHitMe said:
Hello, I still haven't introduced my self, I'm new here. Since I don't like typing about things on the wrong place I will jump directly into my problem.
I have learned to program at home, I'm familiar with the syntax of C/C++/C#/Java/Python/PHP/HTML & CSS/JavaScript/bash/batch and a little bit of Ada, and I used to learn a little bit of design patterns however for some reason I decided that I will skip algortihms now I want to learn them, but I don't have any mathematical background I mean I'm still in high-school, I want to ask if somebody can recommend me a book about mathematics that I will need to learn algorithms.

Welcome to the forum.

This is the introduction subforum and it is against the rules to post problems/questions here. This is just for intoductions.

Start this thread in the General Math subforum.

Oh, and it would be a good idea to read the rules. I think we ALL tend to skip that when entering a new forum but here it actually matters.

phinds said:
This is the introduction subforum and it is against the rules to post problems/questions here. This is just for intoductions.

Was this originally in the introductions forum? I don't see any sign that this thread has been moved.

Anyway, the usual math prerequisite for a university course in algorithms is a course in "discrete mathematics." Try our Science and Math Textbooks forum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/science-and-math-textbooks.21/

See if a forum search for "discrete" turns up anything useful, then ask there if necessary.

jtbell said:
Was this originally in the introductions forum? I don't see any sign that this thread has been moved.
Might have been my mistake based on content since it started off as an intro. If so, my bad.

WhatHitMe said:

Buy a good book on algorithms and data structures. Most of them will cover big-o notation that is used to describe the complexity of algorithms.

I don't know how well regarded it is today, but many years ago Donald Knuth's book on algorithms was the gold standard.

What is self-learning?

Self-learning is the process of gaining knowledge, skills, or understanding through independent study, experimentation, or practice, rather than through traditional classroom instruction.

Why is self-learning important?

Self-learning allows individuals to take control of their own learning process and tailor it to their own needs and interests. It also promotes critical thinking, problem-solving skills, and self-motivation.

How can I improve my self-learning abilities?

To improve your self-learning abilities, you can start by setting specific goals, creating a plan or schedule for your learning, and staying organized. It is also important to stay curious, ask questions, and seek out resources and opportunities for learning.

What are some effective self-learning strategies?

Some effective self-learning strategies include breaking down complex topics into smaller, manageable chunks, practicing self-reflection and self-assessment, using a variety of resources and techniques (such as videos, online courses, and hands-on activities), and seeking feedback from others.

Can everyone benefit from self-learning?

Yes, self-learning can benefit individuals of all ages and backgrounds. Whether you are a student, a working professional, or simply looking to gain new knowledge and skills, self-learning can help you achieve your goals and continue to grow and develop throughout your life.