Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with self-learning

1. Feb 2, 2015 #1
    Hello, I still haven't introduced my self, i'm new here. Since I don't like typing about things on the wrong place I will jump directly into my problem.
    I have learned to program at home, i'm familiar with the syntax of C/C++/C#/Java/Python/PHP/HTML & CSS/JavaScript/bash/batch and a little bit of Ada, and I used to learn a little bit of design patterns however for some reason I decided that I will skip algortihms now I want to learn them, but I don't have any mathematical background I mean i'm still in high-school, I want to ask if somebody can recommend me a book about mathematics that I will need to learn algorithms.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member

Welcome to the forum.

This is the introduction subforum and it is against the rules to post problems/questions here. This is just for intoductions.

Start this thread in the General Math subforum.

Oh, and it would be a good idea to read the rules. I think we ALL tend to skip that when entering a new forum but here it actually matters.

4. Feb 2, 2015 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Was this originally in the introductions forum? I don't see any sign that this thread has been moved.

Anyway, the usual math prerequisite for a university course in algorithms is a course in "discrete mathematics." Try our Science and Math Textbooks forum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/science-and-math-textbooks.21/

See if a forum search for "discrete" turns up anything useful, then ask there if necessary.

5. Feb 3, 2015 #4
  6. Feb 3, 2015 #5

phinds

Gold Member

Might have been my mistake based on content since it started off as an intro. If so, my bad.

7. Feb 3, 2015 #6

phinds

Gold Member

8. Feb 3, 2015 #7

SixNein

Gold Member

Buy a good book on algorithms and data structures. Most of them will cover big-o notation that is used to describe the complexity of algorithms.

9. Feb 3, 2015 #8

phinds

Gold Member

I don't know how well regarded it is today, but many years ago Donald Knuth's book on algorithms was the gold standard.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook