Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with self-learning

1. Feb 2, 2015 #1
    Hello, I still haven't introduced my self, i'm new here. Since I don't like typing about things on the wrong place I will jump directly into my problem.
    I have learned to program at home, i'm familiar with the syntax of C/C++/C#/Java/Python/PHP/HTML & CSS/JavaScript/bash/batch and a little bit of Ada, and I used to learn a little bit of design patterns however for some reason I decided that I will skip algortihms now I want to learn them, but I don't have any mathematical background I mean i'm still in high-school, I want to ask if somebody can recommend me a book about mathematics that I will need to learn algorithms.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to the forum.

This is the introduction subforum and it is against the rules to post problems/questions here. This is just for intoductions.

Start this thread in the General Math subforum.

Oh, and it would be a good idea to read the rules. I think we ALL tend to skip that when entering a new forum but here it actually matters.

4. Feb 2, 2015 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Was this originally in the introductions forum? I don't see any sign that this thread has been moved.

Anyway, the usual math prerequisite for a university course in algorithms is a course in "discrete mathematics." Try our Science and Math Textbooks forum:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/science-and-math-textbooks.21/

See if a forum search for "discrete" turns up anything useful, then ask there if necessary.

5. Feb 3, 2015 #4
  6. Feb 3, 2015 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Might have been my mistake based on content since it started off as an intro. If so, my bad.

7. Feb 3, 2015 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

8. Feb 3, 2015 #7

SixNein

Gold Member

Buy a good book on algorithms and data structures. Most of them will cover big-o notation that is used to describe the complexity of algorithms.

9. Feb 3, 2015 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't know how well regarded it is today, but many years ago Donald Knuth's book on algorithms was the gold standard.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook