Help with Self-Study Physics - Texts & Prerequisites

In summary, the person is a software engineer with a strong interest in physics and wants to start studying it from the basics. They are looking for suggestions for good texts and the recommended level of math knowledge. They are also considering the Feynman lectures, but it is suggested that they start with an introductory modern physics text and then move on to classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. Additionally, MIT offers free online courseware for physics. It is also recommended to do plenty of exercises to master the subject.
jablonsky27
hi, am a s/w engineer with a lot of interest in physics in general. have studied it till about the high school level(Newtonian mechanics, no relativity, thermodynamics, no modern physics). i want to start studying the subject afresh, ground up. could you suggest some good texts i can start off with. and are the feynman lectures recommended?
and what kind of math knowledge is a prerequisite?
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure in what depth you want to study it... You should definitely make sure that your calculus (through multivariate) is up to date, brush up on any rusty trig, and know some very basic linear algebra (matrix and vector operations, etc.). You can get the rest as you move along (Boas, Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences is a good reference - but you might not need it right away). Start with an introductory modern physics text - something like Harris (Nonclassical Physics). The canonical physics major normally starts with that and then moves on to classical mechanics (not what you studied in high school), see Thornton&Marion, and to electromagnetism (the canonical text is Griffiths, Intro to Electrodynamics), and then to quantum mechanics (another great Griffiths). Hope that helps.

MIT offers free online courseware:

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm

The Feynman lectures are great for learning concepts, too.

Since you're still at the beginning level, I would not recommend the Feynman lectures as your primary source for learning. They are great for supplementary or followup reading after you've gotten the basics elsewhere.

If you know basic differential and integral calculus you can start off with any of the standard calculus-based introductory physics textbooks such as Halliday/Resnick/Walker, "Fundamentals of Physics". Otherwise you should start with a non-calculus-based textbook such as Giancoli, or work on your calculus and then start with Halliday et al.

thanks for the replies. i ll get hold of a copy of halliday and go through it.
i m alright with basic calculus. my problem is i grasp most concepts qualitatively, but when it comes to the quantitative part of it i mess it up. its mainly in view of this that i want to start afresh.

jtbell said:
Since you're still at the beginning level, I would not recommend the Feynman lectures as your primary source for learning. They are great for supplementary or followup reading after you've gotten the basics elsewhere.

I agree. I have the volume set and it could be very overwhelming if it's read as "new" material.

Get the basics first (from a good textbook regarding the subject), then you can use the Feynman lectures as a supplement.

I should also point out that if you're serious about mastering physics, you need to do plenty of exercises, and the Feynman lectures don't have exercises, at least not the usual end-of-chapter kind.

1. What are the recommended texts for self-study in physics?

Some commonly recommended texts for self-study in physics are "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma.

2. What are the prerequisites for self-study in physics?

The prerequisites for self-study in physics include a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus and algebra. Knowledge of basic physics concepts and principles is also important.

3. Are there any online resources available for self-study in physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for self-study in physics, such as interactive simulations, video tutorials, and practice problems. Some popular websites for self-study in physics are Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics.

4. How can I effectively study physics on my own?

To effectively study physics on your own, it is important to have a structured study plan and to stay consistent with your studying. Make sure to understand the underlying concepts and principles rather than just memorizing equations. Practice solving problems regularly and seek help from online resources or a tutor if needed.

5. Is self-study in physics a viable option for learning the subject?

Yes, self-study in physics can be a viable option for learning the subject if you are motivated, disciplined, and have access to quality resources. It allows for a flexible learning pace and can be a cost-effective option compared to traditional classroom learning. However, it may be more challenging without the guidance of a teacher or professor, so it is important to be self-motivated and dedicated to your studies.