Finding the Formula for Basic Sequences: A Guide for Scientists

In summary, Karla is looking for the formula for calculating the nth term +1 of a sequence of triangular numbers, and has tried using a difference table to find it. However, she found that the second difference is 1, leading her to think that the formula must start with 2N, which is incorrect. The formula for calculating the nth term +1 is n(n+1)/2. Additionally, there is a method for finding the formula for the first n numbers using the series 1,2,3,...n and its reverse, and then adding them together and dividing by 2. This method was famously used by Gauss when he was 10 years old. Another method for finding the formula for a sequence is to use
Karla
Hi all,

Im doing some work with the triangular numbers, pretty basic stuff:

1 3 6 10 15

Now I am trying to understand how to get the formula for calculating the nth term +1, the formula is:

n(n+1)/2

I have tried doing a difference table, only to find that the second difference is 1, which lead me to think the forumla must start with 2N but this is incorrect. Please can someone show me the easiest method for working out basic sequence formulas.

Thanks,
Karla

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Karla said:
Hi all,

Im doing some work with the triangular numbers, pretty basic stuff:

1 3 6 10 15

Now I am trying to understand how to get the formula for calculating the nth term +1, the formula is:

n(n+1)/2

I have tried doing a difference table, only to find that the second difference is 1, which lead me to think the forumla must start with 2N but this is incorrect. Please can someone show me the easiest method for working out basic sequence formulas.

Thanks,
Karla

It's not clear to me why the fact that the second difference is 1 would lead you to think that the formula must start with 2N!
Newton's divided difference formula says that if f(1)= a0, the first difference (at 1) is a1, second difference a2, third difference a3, etc. Then
[tex] f(n)= a_0+ a_1(n-1)+ \frac{a_2}{2}(n-1)(n-2)+ \frac{a_3}{3!}(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)+ ...[/tex].

If the second difference is a constant then all succeeding differences are 0 and the formula gives a polynomial. In particular, for the sequence of triangular numbers, the first differences are just the sequence of counting numbers and the second difference is 1 for all n. At n= 1, the value is 1, the first difference is 2 and the second difference is 1 with all succeeding differences 0. Newton's divided difference formula gives
[tex]1+ 2(n-1)+ \frac{1}{2}(n-1)(n-2)[/tex]
[tex]= 1+ 2n- 2+ \frac{1}{2}(n^2- 3n+ 2)[/tex]
[tex]= 2n+ \frac{1}{2}n^2- \frac{3}{2}n[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{2}n^2+ \frac{1}{2}n[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{n(n+1)}{2}[/tex]

There is a great way to work out that formula for the first n numbers. This method was supposedly used by Gauss when he was 10. His teacher, wanting to leave the classroom for a time, told the students to add up the first 100 numbers and get the total. (This is the 100th triangle number.) But, before the teacher could get out of the room, Gauss presented the answer!

His method: Consider the series 1,2,3,...100. Now reverse this on the next line: 100,99,98...1. and add the two series together term by term. The result is 101 written 100 times, and the correct answer is 1/2 of that! which is 50x101 = 5050. http://www.cut-the-knot.org/Curriculum/Algebra/GaussSummation.shtml

Last edited:
Here is what I found to be a nice way of finding an equation for a sequence assuming it is a sequence and not just a random set of numbers. I had it as a power point but had to save it as a PDF file to attach it. Let me know if it helps.
Jim

PS: For your example...1 3 6 10 15
3-1=2 2 3 4 5
6-3=3 1 1 1
10-6=4
15-10=5
3-2=1
4-3=1
5-4=1
The '1' repeats at the second row so we start with T=1/(2!) n^2
And 1/2 n^2 has a sequence of 1/2 2 9/2 8.
We take our sequence and subtract these to get a remainder sequence and then repeat the first part again.
1/2 1 3/1 2
1/2 1/2 1/2
This one started repeating in the first row so we add that to the first part we found and get
T=1/2 n^2 + 1/2 n and have no remainder this time so we are done.

I explained these steps a lot more thorough in the PDF file.

Attachments

• Solve a Sequence.pdf
    329.2 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
Yes, that is precisely the "Newton's divided difference formula" that both I and Robert Ihnot referred to five years ago!

What is a sequence formula?

A sequence formula is a mathematical expression used to find the value of individual terms in a sequence. It is often written in the form of a general term, where the value of a term is dependent on its position in the sequence.

What is the purpose of a sequence formula?

The purpose of a sequence formula is to help determine the pattern of a sequence and find the value of any term in the sequence. It can also be used to predict future terms in the sequence.

What is the difference between an arithmetic and geometric sequence formula?

An arithmetic sequence formula involves adding a constant value to each term to get the next term, while a geometric sequence formula involves multiplying a constant value to each term to get the next term. In an arithmetic sequence, the difference between consecutive terms is constant, while in a geometric sequence, the ratio between consecutive terms is constant.

How do I find the value of a term using a sequence formula?

To find the value of a specific term in a sequence using a sequence formula, simply substitute the position of the term into the formula. For example, if the formula for a sequence is n^2+1, to find the value of the 5th term, substitute n=5 into the formula to get 5^2+1=26.

What are some common types of sequence formulas?

Some common types of sequence formulas include arithmetic sequences, geometric sequences, and Fibonacci sequences. Other types include quadratic sequences, cubic sequences, and exponential sequences, among others.