1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help with series circuits

1. May 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    First problem is a series circuit with 3 resistors. R1,R2,R3 is 3.0 ohms. This is all powered by a 3.0 V battery.

What is the current threw resistor 2?

2. Relevant equations
    V=IR

3. The attempt at a solution

3.0=I(3.0)

Divide both sides by 3.0 and I got 1
    .. the correct answer is 0.33 OHMs

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2010 #2
    First of all, the units of current are Amps. I also believe that you misread the question. The total resistance is not 3ohms, instead EACH resistor has a resistance of 3 ohms. So you need to find the equivalent series resistance first, and then apply ohm's law and get the correct answer of 0.33A.

4. May 8, 2010 #3
    erm. . . check your solutions, current is not measured in Ohms.

First, find equivalent resistance, and remember that current thru a series of resistors is the same.

5. May 8, 2010 #4
    Ok I got the right answer. I got the total resistance and divide it by the volts and i got the current. Thanks guys! What if I have another question on this same sort of problem do i make another thread? Or should i just ask here?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook