1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with series

1. Feb 10, 2009 #1
    Help with "series"

so I have learned how to do different problems of series.
    but theres this problem that I spent hours last night but could not come up with anything.
    which is-

n/2^(n-1)
    n=1

so from there i was able to take out 2 and end up with: 2 n /(2^n)

i dont know how to do after that. however, i thought about doing (1/2)^n but then again it does not make sense to me.

help needed. i will appreciate that. thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2009 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Help with "series"

What are you supposed to do with it? I would assume you are supposed to determine if it converges, but unless you say I can't be sure. Also, please show us an attempt at the problem. Then we can help you with where you get stuck.

4. Feb 11, 2009 #3

Delphi51

Homework Helper

What an interesting piece of work! I wonder who thought that up. It's hypnotic.
    Of course it is easy to find the sum on a spreadsheet . . . approximately, I suppose.
    I decided it just HAD to be a telescopic series and played with it for a good long time before I found it. Is that enough of a hint?

I started with the nth term written as the difference 4n over 2^n minus 2n over 2^n and then tried to write the 2nd term in the form of the first term with n replaced by n+1 as is required to collapse a telescopic series. Unfortunately that wasn't quite right and nothing I guessed was either. Finally I resorted to adding x to that first term and subtracting x from the second. To find x, I replaced n with n+1 in the first term and set it equal to the second. It came out very nicely and converges to 4 as the spreadsheet predicted, so I expect it is correct. I'm no mathematician, so this may not be the conventional way of summing this series.

I hope I have not spoiled your fun with this intriguing series!

5. Feb 11, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Oh, a nicer way to do it is to guess that the nth term is an+b over 2^n minus a(n+1)+b over 2^(n+1), where a and b are two parameters to be found. This setup guarantees that the series will be telescoping. Set that expression equal to 2n over 2^n and solve for a and b.

6. Feb 11, 2009 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's another way to think about it. Can you sum the series 1+x+x^2+x^3+...? Now think what happens if you take the derivative and substitute a special value of x.

7. Feb 11, 2009 #6

Delphi51

Homework Helper

That's quite a find, Dick! Glad you didn't mention it before I had all that fun finding the telescoping series.

8. Feb 11, 2009 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's just the 'standard' way to do it. Glad you had fun!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook