1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Set theory please!

1. Mar 22, 2008 #1
    I was wondering if someone could please look over my proof of this set theory problem and let me know if I am doing it right or not and give me some help.

Provide a counterexample for the following:

If (A-B)intersect(A-C)=empty set, then B intersect C = empty set.

Proof:

Assume that (A-B)intersect(A-C) does not equal the empty set. Let A={4,26}, B={4,23}, and C={26,23}. Since (A-C)=26 and (A-C)=4, that means that (A-B)intersect(A-C) does not equal the empty set. So B intersect C equals 23 which is also not the empty set.

Thank you for your help! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2008 #2
    that doesn't quite work, to show

If (A-B)intersect(A-C)=empty set, then B intersect C = empty set is a false statement, you need to find A, B, C such that (A-B)intersect(A-C)=empty set but B intersect C != empty set

4. Mar 22, 2008 #3
    Ok how about this:

Proof:

Let A={4,26}, B={4,23}, and C={26,23}. If (A-C)=26 and (A-C)=4, that means that (A-B)intersect(A-C) equals the empty set. But B intersect C = 23 which is not the empty set, therefore there is a contradiction.

How is that?

5. Mar 22, 2008 #4
    good work :)

(I think you mean A-B = {26} though)

6. Mar 22, 2008 #5
    haha got it!

Thank you!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?