Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Help with Set theory please!

1. Mar 22, 2008 #1
    I was wondering if someone could please look over my proof of this set theory problem and let me know if I am doing it right or not and give me some help.

Provide a counterexample for the following:

If (A-B)intersect(A-C)=empty set, then B intersect C = empty set.

Proof:

Assume that (A-B)intersect(A-C) does not equal the empty set. Let A={4,26}, B={4,23}, and C={26,23}. Since (A-C)=26 and (A-C)=4, that means that (A-B)intersect(A-C) does not equal the empty set. So B intersect C equals 23 which is also not the empty set.

Thank you for your help! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2008 #2
    that doesn't quite work, to show

If (A-B)intersect(A-C)=empty set, then B intersect C = empty set is a false statement, you need to find A, B, C such that (A-B)intersect(A-C)=empty set but B intersect C != empty set

4. Mar 22, 2008 #3
    Ok how about this:

Proof:

Let A={4,26}, B={4,23}, and C={26,23}. If (A-C)=26 and (A-C)=4, that means that (A-B)intersect(A-C) equals the empty set. But B intersect C = 23 which is not the empty set, therefore there is a contradiction.

How is that?

5. Mar 22, 2008 #4
    good work :)

(I think you mean A-B = {26} though)

6. Mar 22, 2008 #5
    haha got it!

Thank you!!!!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook