Set Up Help for Problem in 2.JPG | QuantumNinja

• Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary: Hope that helps. In summary, the conversation discusses how to set up a problem involving forces, moments, and coefficients of friction. The problem involves finding the normal force and friction force in a ladder leaning against a wall, and determining the smallest coefficient of friction needed to support the ladder. Different equations and methods are suggested, such as using summation of forces and moments, and solving for various variables. The conversation also addresses confusion with labeling angles and variables.
Tom McCurdy
http://www.quantumninja.com/hw/random/2.JPG

I was hoping someone could help me set up this problem. I am not quite sure how to start it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tom McCurdy said:
http://www.quantumninja.com/hw/random/2.JPG

I was hoping someone could help me set up this problem. I am not quite sure how to start it.

Generally for these types of problems without, you can get only 3 equations.

sum of forces in x direction =0
sum of forces in y direction =0
sum of moments about any point=0

You may not need all the above equations. For moments... if you do need that equation, choose the right point to take the moment about (gives you the information you need). You can technically take the moment about any point, but it'll make the math harder.

So is it

[tex]Fy= N[/tex]

[tex]Fx=\mu N [/tex]
[tex]Fx=\mu Fy [/tex]
[tex] 0 = L * N * sin 53 - 0.4 L 200 * sin(37) [/tex]

Last edited:
then you couls say

[tex] \frac{80 sin 37}{sin 53} = N[/tex]

sorry I am getting confused

Last edited:
Wait isn't it this instead
So is it

[tex]Fy= 200[/tex]

[tex]Fx=N [/tex]

[tex] 0 = L * N * sin 57 - 0.4 L 200 * sin(37) [/tex][/QUOTE]

[tex] \frac{80 sin 37}{sin 53} = N = Fx[/tex]

Last edited:
Can someone see if my work is correct for
a.) = N = [tex] \frac{80 sin 37}{sin 53} = N = Fx[/tex] = [tex] 80 tan(37) [/tex]

b.) [tex] N=\mu W [/tex] so

[tex]\frac{80 tan(37)}{200} [/tex]

Hi,
Your picture is WRONG, recheck it.
How come an angle is both 37 degrees and 53 degrees?
Remember that the 4 forces must go through 1 point, so that the sum of them is 0.
Find out where the P and the N cut each other. The sum of Fx, And Fy must go through that point.
You have Fy (200 N), you will find Fx (Friction force), and will find out the smallest coefficient of friction needed to support the ladder.
Hope it help,
Viet Dao,

Hi,
Or you can use moment to solve it. A lot faster.
Hope it help,
Viet Dao,

Yes, I would definitely use summation of moments. Your perpendicular (to the axis) force from the wall will just be (.4)*(200cos37). To get the force in the x direction, which will be the load from the wall, divide that by cos53. Now you will sum forces in the x direction. Since the only other force in that direction is the friction force, it will be equal and opposite to the force from the wall.

Tom McCurdy said:
So is it

[tex]Fy= N[/tex]

[tex]Fx=\mu N [/tex]
[tex]Fx=\mu Fy [/tex]
[tex] 0 = L * N * sin 53 - 0.4 L 200 * sin(37) [/tex]

A couple of things... as Viet says, you've labeled the same angle as both 53 and 37, so I'm not able to tell if your moment equation is correct.
If the angle between the horizontal and the ladder is 53 then your equation is correct. If the angle is 37, then your equation is wrong and you have to switch around the 53 and 37.

So from the moment equation you can solve for N.

sum of force in x direction=0:

Fx-N=0

Since you have N, now you can get Fx. That's part a of the question. Don't confuse the normal force at the top N with Fy normal force at the bottom. They are different.

For part b, you need Fy.

Sum of forces in y direction = 0:

Fy-200=0
Fy=200.

you have friction force Fx. you have the normal force at the bottom Fy. So the coefficient of friction is Fx/Fy.

I apologize if you already understood all this. I was confused by the variables you used, so I thought I just go through it.

Last edited:

1. What is "Set Up Help for Problem in 2.JPG | QuantumNinja"?

"Set Up Help for Problem in 2.JPG | QuantumNinja" is a technical support service provided by QuantumNinja, a scientific research company. It aims to assist users in troubleshooting and resolving technical issues related to a specific problem in 2.JPG.

2. How does "Set Up Help for Problem in 2.JPG | QuantumNinja" work?

Once a user contacts QuantumNinja for help with their problem in 2.JPG, a team of experts will work to analyze and diagnose the issue. They will then provide step-by-step instructions and guidance to help the user resolve the problem.

3. Can "Set Up Help for Problem in 2.JPG | QuantumNinja" assist with any type of technical issue?

No, "Set Up Help for Problem in 2.JPG | QuantumNinja" is specifically designed to provide support for technical issues related to a problem in 2.JPG. It may not be able to assist with other unrelated technical problems.

4. How long does it take to receive help from "Set Up Help for Problem in 2.JPG | QuantumNinja"?

The response time for "Set Up Help for Problem in 2.JPG | QuantumNinja" may vary depending on the complexity of the issue. However, the team strives to provide assistance as quickly as possible and typically responds within 24-48 hours.

5. Is there a cost for using "Set Up Help for Problem in 2.JPG | QuantumNinja"?

Yes, there is a fee for using "Set Up Help for Problem in 2.JPG | QuantumNinja". The cost may vary depending on the severity of the issue and the extent of assistance required. However, users can rest assured that they will receive high-quality and effective support from QuantumNinja's team of experts.