Exploring Parallel Universes: A Shoebox Experiment

• Thread starter jonathon0074
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, this person is asking about an experiment that they vaguely remember from a class, and they aren't sure what it is. They believe it to be something involving a box and light shining through it, but they are not sure what the specifics are.
jonathon0074
HELP with shoebox experiment?

i don't know if this is the correct place to ask this question but i remember this experiment a fellow sudent presented, in which you shine a flashlight into a shoebox and it shows the possibility of other dimensions or a parallel universe. i was just wondering the name of this experiment or any other information. thank you for your help and I am sorry for my ignorance i may have shown through this post.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never apologize for a lack of knowledge. Guys like you are why the rest of us are here. Unfortunately, I cannot, without a lot more clarification, understand what it is that you want answered. I have never heard of a 'shoebox' experiment.

well the project he presented which i faintly remember. he shined a light through slits or a single hole on a shoebox, but i imagine you could use any type of box, and it showed in some way an anomaly that could be interpreted as another dimension or a parallel universe in which someone one is doing the same experiment and that is the cause of the disturbance. again sorry if I am way off about all this but this is what i remember the explanation being. if anyone can help me with more info or correct me if I am wrong on some detsails. thank you

Sounds similar to a pinhole camera, which creates an inverted image on the film IIRC. Not sure how it would do anything special with a flashlight though...

moo

Yeah, this is a weird one. I'm wondering if maybe it's a dual-slit demonstration of EM wave interference.

if this is the double slit experiment for particles...maybe you are referring to the multi-verse interpretation of quantum mechanics?

1. What materials do I need for the shoebox experiment?

To conduct the shoebox experiment, you will need a shoebox, scissors, tape, a pencil, a ruler, a small object to represent the sun, and a small object to represent the Earth.

2. How do I set up the shoebox experiment?

To set up the shoebox experiment, first cut a hole in one end of the shoebox. Then, tape a piece of white paper to the inside of the opposite end of the box. Next, use the pencil and ruler to mark an X on the paper. Finally, place the small objects on the X to represent the sun and the Earth.

3. What is the purpose of the shoebox experiment?

The shoebox experiment is used to demonstrate the concept of the Earth's rotation and revolution around the sun. It helps to explain how the changing position of the Earth affects our perception of the sun's movement in the sky.

4. What observations can I make during the shoebox experiment?

During the shoebox experiment, you can observe how the position of the Earth changes as you rotate the box and move it around the "sun". You can also observe how the shadow of the Earth on the paper changes as you move the box.

5. What is the significance of the shoebox experiment?

The shoebox experiment is a simple yet effective way to visualize and understand the complex movements of the Earth around the sun. It can help to deepen our understanding of the Earth's rotation and revolution and their impact on our daily lives, such as the changing of seasons.