Proving Angular Momentum Magnitudes: Binomial Expansion Method

• Thread starter perplexabot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bin
I understand it better now.In summary, when using the binomial expansion to approximate the allowed magnitudes of angular momentum, it is important to consider the size of the variable being expanded. In this case, when l is large, the correct approximation is L ≈ (l + 0.5) * hbar, rather than L ≈ (l + l^2) * hbar. This is because the binomial expansion is only a good approximation when the variable being expanded is small.
perplexabot
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The allowed magnitudes of angular momentum are L = √(l(l+1)) * hbar. Use the binomial expansion to prove that when l is large, L ≈ (l + .5) * hbar.

Homework Equations

Binomial expansion formula: (1 + z)^n = 1 + nz + [n*(n-1)*z^2] / 2 + ...

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok. First I did:
L = √(l(l+1)) * hbar = [hbar * √l] * [1 + l]^.5
Then doing Bin. expan. apprx. for [1 + l]^.5,
I get a final answe, L ≈ hbar * √l * (1 + l/2)

Which is wrong. When compared to L ≈ (l + .5) * hbar, I can tell that I have an extra factor of √l, I think it has something to do with l being very large. Can someone please help me out? Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Factor the l out of (l(l+1))^(1/2)=(l^2+l)^(1/2)=(l^2*(1+1/l))^(1/2).

Likes perplexabot
Thank you so much. I understand it. So:

[l * (l + 1)] ^ (1/2) = (l + l^2) ^ (1/2) = [l^2 * (l + 1/l)] ^ (1/2) = l * (1+ 1/l)^(1/2) ≈ l * (1 + 1/2l).

Great, that achieves the correct answer. Thanks again

Last edited:
perplexabot said:
Thank you so much. I understand it. So:

[l * (l + 1)] ^ (1/2) = (l + l^2) ^ (1/2) = [l^2 * (l - 1/l)] ^ (1/2) = l * (1- 1/l)^(1/2) = l * (1 + 1/2l).

Great, that achieves the correct answer. Thanks again

In the last step it isn't equal, right? It's just an approximation. I'm also not sure where the minus signs came from and then disappeared to. Just a typo, right?

Last edited:
Likes perplexabot
Dick said:
In the last step it isn't equal, right? It's just an approximation. I'm also not sure where the minus signs came from and then disappeared to. Just a typo, right?

Yes, you are right, this is an approximation and that minus sign is a typo (I will edit my post). Thanks again.
One last optional question though, would you by any chance know why my first trial was wrong (my first post)?

perplexabot said:
Yes, you are right, this is an approximation and that minus sign is a typo (I will edit my post). Thanks again.
One last optional question though, would you by any chance know why my first trial was wrong (my first post)?

Sure. (1+x)^(1/2)~(1+x/2) is only a good approximation if x is small. So (1+1/l)^(1/2)~(1+1/(2l)) is a good approximation because 1/l is small. (1+l)^(1/2)~1+l/2 is a bad approximation because l is large.

Likes perplexabot
Dick said:
Sure. (1+x)^(1/2)~(1+x/2) is only a good approximation if x is small. So (1+1/l)^(1/2)~(1+1/(2l)) is a good approximation because 1/l is small. (1+l)^(1/2)~1+l/2 is a bad approximation because l is large.

Thank you for your time.

1. What is a simple binomial expansion?

A simple binomial expansion is a mathematical process that involves raising a binomial expression to a certain power. It is used to expand expressions that involve two terms, such as (a + b)^n, where n is a positive integer.

2. Why is it important to know how to do a simple binomial expansion?

Knowing how to do a simple binomial expansion is important because it allows you to simplify and solve complex mathematical expressions. It is also a fundamental concept in algebra and is used in various fields of science and engineering.

3. What are the steps involved in a simple binomial expansion?

The steps involved in a simple binomial expansion are: 1) Identify the binomial expression and the power it is raised to, 2) Write out the binomial expansion formula, 3) Simplify the coefficients using Pascal's triangle, 4) Multiply the terms by the corresponding coefficients, and 5) Combine like terms to get the final expanded expression.

4. Can you provide an example of a simple binomial expansion?

Sure, an example of a simple binomial expansion is (x + y)^3. The expanded expression would be x^3 + 3x^2y + 3xy^2 + y^3.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to make doing a simple binomial expansion easier?

Yes, there are a few shortcuts that can make doing a simple binomial expansion easier. One is using Pascal's triangle to quickly determine the coefficients. Another is using the binomial expansion formula for specific powers, such as (a + b)^2 = a^2 + 2ab + b^2. Additionally, practicing and familiarizing yourself with the process can also make it easier over time.