Easy Guide: Converting km/h to m/s in Physics Class

• Thread starter kfink85
  • Start date
In summary, to convert from km/h to m/s, you need to divide the value by 3.6. So for 82.4 km/h, the conversion would be 82.4/3.6 = 22.89 m/s. Remember to keep track of the units and use the conversion factors correctly.
kfink85
I am in my first physics class and the professor just kinda skimmed over this but I am lost on how to convert km/h to m/s.

What's the explanation on how to convert 82.4 km/h to m/s?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are 1000 m in one kilometer.
There are 60 seconds in an hour.

If you want to change from km/h to m/s, you need to divide by 1000 and multiply by 60. Think of it as multiplying by 1: 1 km/h * (1000m/km) * (1h/60s)= (1000/60) m/s

Thanks very much.

What I usually do is
[tex]\frac{1\ km}{1\ h}=\frac{1000\ m}{3600\ s}[/tex]
which gives
[tex]1\ km/h=\frac{1}{3.6}\ m/s[/tex]
or
[tex]1\ m/s=3.6\ km/h[/tex]

1. How do I convert units of measurement?

Converting units of measurement involves multiplying or dividing by a conversion factor. The conversion factor is determined by the relationship between the two units being converted. For example, to convert from inches to centimeters, the conversion factor would be 2.54 since there are 2.54 centimeters in one inch. Simply multiply the number of inches by 2.54 to get the equivalent measurement in centimeters.

2. What is the easiest way to convert temperatures?

The easiest way to convert temperatures is by using the formula C = (F-32) x 5/9, where C is the temperature in Celsius and F is the temperature in Fahrenheit. Simply plug in the Fahrenheit temperature and solve for C to get the equivalent temperature in Celsius.

3. How do I convert fractions to decimals?

To convert fractions to decimals, divide the numerator (top number) by the denominator (bottom number). The resulting decimal is the equivalent value of the fraction. For example, 3/4 would be converted to 0.75.

4. How do I convert between metric and imperial units?

To convert between metric and imperial units, you will need to use conversion factors. For example, to convert from kilograms to pounds, the conversion factor is 2.20462. Simply multiply the number of kilograms by 2.20462 to get the equivalent weight in pounds.

5. Can I use an online conversion tool?

Yes, there are many online conversion tools available that can help with simple conversions. You can simply enter the measurement you want to convert and the tool will provide the equivalent value in the desired unit. However, it is always useful to understand the basic principles of conversion in case you need to do it manually in the future.