Simple LED Wiring: Step-by-Step Guide with Red and Green LEDs and a Lever Switch

• Thread starter rougeqc21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Led Wiring
In summary, red will turn on when switch is activated, green will turn off when switch is deactivated, and red will turn on when switch is activated and green will turn on when switch is deactivated.
rougeqc21
Alright I need help. I am not electrically inclined so figure this is the best place I could have come. I'll make this as simple as possible.

I have:
1 Red 5 mm LED with specs 2.6V - 28mA * 10mcd
1 Green 5mm LED with specs 2.1VDC - 25mA - 6.3mcd
9V battery as source

What I need.

Need to wire this so that the green led is constant on and when a switch is depressed the green turns off and red turns on then if the switch is released back to green.

radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049718&cp=&kw=lever+switch&parentPage=search

that is the switch I have.

Thanks so much for your help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have attached a circuit that should do what you want.
The 330 ohm resistors will give about 20 mA through each LED.

Attachments

• 2-LED-circuit_2008-Apr-18.gif
    2-LED-circuit_2008-Apr-18.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 560
rougeqc21, I should probably ask by what means you would be making connections in your circuit? I.e., soldering, or using wires with alligator clips (available at Radio Shack), or a solderless breadboard, or other?

Feel free to post if you have more questions.

Thanks for the help redbelly.

I will be soldering it all myself, that at least i am proficient at haha from hobby related endeavors. Would that switch I had the link to work? I hooked pos and neg from the 9V and it seemed like it was just shorting the battery out (it was getting very hot)

If you hooked the switch up directly to the battery, then yes you were shorting it out.

I can't find a wiring diagram for the switch at Radio Shack (not surprisingly), so I can't answer for certain that it will work. But it is listed as a spdt 3-lead switch. So one lead (probably the center one) is always connected to one or the other of the other 2 leads. That lead is what gets connected to the battery. As for rest of the connections, see the circuit diagram I posted earlier.

I'll suggest getting some wires with alligator clips just so you can verify and debug your circuit before you start soldering things. You can waste a lot of time desoldering and resoldering if things are not connected correctly. I saw the clip wires at my local Radio Shack earlier today, they come in a package of 10 and might cost $5 or at most $10.

As a start, connect 1 LED and resistor to the battery leads to satisfy yourself that things will work. This will also tell you the polarity of the LED (which wire is +).

Reminder:
By using 330ohm resistor, it rates to 27mA (not 20mA) for 9VDC. It should be 360ohm for both (25mA and 28mA)

But the resistor does not have 9V across it, it has
(9V - Vled)
or 6.4V to 6.9V, depending on which LED is connected (2.6V for the red one, 2.1 V for the green).
This gives 19 mA or 21 mA, or (as I said) close to 20 mA in either case.

The resistor and LED are in series, in case that is what caused your confusion.

1. What materials do I need for simple LED wiring?

The materials needed for simple LED wiring include an LED light, a resistor, a breadboard, jumper wires, and a power source (such as a battery or power supply).

2. How do I determine the appropriate resistor for my LED?

You can use Ohm's law (V=IR) to calculate the resistor needed for your LED. First, determine the forward voltage (V) and forward current (I) of your LED. Then, subtract the forward voltage from your power source voltage to get the voltage drop (V). Finally, divide the voltage drop by the forward current to get the appropriate resistance (R) in ohms.

3. Can I use any type of battery for my LED?

You can use most types of batteries for your LED, as long as the voltage matches the forward voltage of your LED. However, it is recommended to use a power source with a higher voltage than the LED's forward voltage to prevent overheating and damage.

4. How do I wire multiple LEDs together?

To wire multiple LEDs together, you can connect them in parallel, with each LED connected to its own resistor. Alternatively, you can connect them in series, with one resistor for the entire circuit. Be sure to use the appropriate resistors for each LED in the circuit.

5. How can I troubleshoot if my LED is not working?

If your LED is not working, check the connections and make sure they are secure. Also, check that the power source is providing enough voltage for the LED. If the LED still does not work, try using a different LED or resistor to see if that makes a difference.