Solve Math Problem: Finding i Given i_a and n Terms

• Thread starter badman
  • Start date
In summary, the person is trying to solve a complex number problem where they need to find i given i_a and n. They are unsure of how to proceed and are seeking help. Another person suggests that solving the equation is just taking a root. They provide two possible solutions depending on whether (i+1)^n-1 is supposed to be (i+1)n-1 or (i+1)n-1.
badman
i forgot how to do this type of problem and i i was wondering if you guys can help me out.

(1+i)^n-1=i_a I am trying find i given i_a. n is the number of terms which i also have. i know u have to add the negative one to the other side. but no clue as to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone help?

Is this a complex number problem? What is i_a? Is it just a constant?

You won't get much help if you don't state the problem more clearly. Can I take it that i and i_a are just numbers- If you are given i_a, solve for i?
Even then is (i+1)^n-1 supposed to be (i+1)n-1 or (i+1)n-1?

In either case solving the equation is just taking a root.
If [itex](i+1)^{n-1}= i_a[/itex] then [itex]i+1= ^{n+1}\sqrt{i_a}[/itex] so [itex]i= ^{n+1}\sqrt{i_a}-1[/itex].
If [itex](i+1)^n-1= i_a[/itex] then [itex](i+1)^n= i_a+1[/itex] so
[itex]i+1= ^n\sqrt{i_a+1}[/itex] and [itex]i= ^n\sqrt{i_a+1}-1[/itex].

([itex]^n\sqrt{}[/itex] is the nth root.)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a simple math problem?

A simple math problem is a mathematical question or equation that can be solved using basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. How can I get help with a simple math problem?

There are several ways to get help with a simple math problem. You can ask a friend or family member who is good at math, consult a math tutor, use online resources such as math problem-solving websites or apps, or seek help from a teacher or professor.

3. What are some common mistakes people make when solving simple math problems?

Some common mistakes people make when solving simple math problems include forgetting to carry over numbers when adding or subtracting, misplacing decimal points, incorrectly multiplying or dividing numbers, and not following the correct order of operations.

4. How can I improve my math problem-solving skills?

To improve your math problem-solving skills, practice regularly, ask for help when needed, understand the concepts and formulas behind the problems, and use different problem-solving strategies such as drawing diagrams or making a list of steps.

5. Is it important to be good at simple math problems?

Yes, having a strong foundation in simple math problems is essential for understanding more complex mathematical concepts and solving real-life problems. It also helps improve critical thinking and analytical skills.