Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help With Simple Problem

1. Feb 5, 2014 #1

Aff

Hi Everyone,

Trying to figure out the lateral load, applied to a cylinder I'm trying to use, during operation.

Heres a quick dragram:

QRjefro.png

If you could show me how this is done I would be very grateful, It looks like it should be really simple, but I just can't seem to get my head around it.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The 6N force applied at the base is going to create a bending moment in the piston rod. Pistons in cylinders work best when the forces are aligned with the rods, not offset as is shown.

4. Feb 6, 2014 #3

Aff

Thanks for the reply.

I know it isn't ideal, but, if possible, it would be the best solution in my application.

The pneumatic cylinder I'm trying to use has an allowable lateral load of 0.4N at full stroke, so I would really like to be able to find out how much lateral load 6N at that point would exert.

When I get back in the office I will stick it in Creo Simulate, but until them I am having to rely on my brain, which seems to be failing me. :rofl:

5. Feb 6, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just looking at the moment arms, a lateral load of 12.9 N @ 10 mm from the base of the cylinder is what you are looking at. If the relative positions of the 6 N force and the cylinder can't be altered, then a different design is called for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook