1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help With Simple Summations

1. May 31, 2013 #1
    I forgot how to do summations... I've been googling all day, but I can't find resources good enough for the types of problems I have. If anyone can provide me with some resources, I'd really appreciate it.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ʃ6n+8
    i=4

I'm just going to call that S

2. Relevant equations
    Ʃ of i = 1 to n is n(n+1)/2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know I can separate the two terms:
    S6n + S8

And then pull the constants out?
    6n*S1 + 8S1

But can I use 1 as the new constant or do I have to use 4 since that is the index? Do I just multiply 4 by 10087? Or 1 by 10087 and then subtract... something? I don't know, the index of 4 is really throwing me off.

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not clear what you are trying to sum.

The summation you have is indexed by 'i', but the summand uses 'n'. Is there some relationship between 'i' and 'n' which you have not posted?

If you have a formula for a sum which goes from 'i' to 'n', how would you use that formula if 'i' starts at 4?
    Hint: write out the terms of a sum which starts at 1 and goes through say i = 5. How would you modify the sum so that the first term is for i = 4?

4. May 31, 2013 #3
    I know that there's no relationship between i and n, which is why I'm so lost. If I was using i, and it started at 4, would I just subtract the sum of 1 to 3?

5. May 31, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted