1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with simple vector graph

1. Oct 27, 2011 #1
    Hi guys - i need some help with a really simple problem. I've just started doing physics in college, and I've had a homework question that just doesn't work out for me (I also have the answers).

A particle moves in a straight line with a constant velocity of 5m/s for 2 seconds. It then moves with a constant acceleration of -2m/s^2 for 8 seconds. Sketch a velocity-time graph for the interval of 10 seconds and find:

a) the final velocity
    b)the total distance covered by the particle
    c)the increase in displacement of the particle

i'm getting -10m/s for a - then 44.5m for b.

Could someone tell me if I'm atleast heading in the right direction? (no pun intended)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

If the initial velocity is 5 [given] and the final velocity is -10 [your calculation] then the change is -15.

AN acceleration of -2 for 8 seconds does not give -15 .

4. Oct 27, 2011 #3
    If I know my vector is -2m/s^2 then - how will I work out the final velocity of that vector from that?

5. Oct 27, 2011 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

Why did you say your vector was -2 m/s2?

Surely you meant your acceleration was -2 m/s2.

6. Oct 27, 2011 #5
    Isn't the vector describing an acceleration?

7. Oct 27, 2011 #6

PeterO

Homework Helper

Both velocity and acceleration are vectors

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook