Method of Frobenius for Solving ODE at x=0 | Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter bart007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the conversation discusses using the method of Frobenius to solve the equation (1-x)y''+xy'-α^2/x^2=0 around x=0. The process involves plugging in a series and adjusting the indexes of the terms, resulting in roots from the indicial equation and a recursion formula for c_n. However, there is uncertainty about the correctness of the solution and using a number for α does not produce a suitable series.
bart007

Homework Statement

Using method of frobenius about [itex]x=0[/itex] to solve:
[itex](1-x) y''+xy'-\frac{\alpha^2}{x^2}+=0[/itex]
[itex][/itex]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

1. plug in series into the equation.
2. adjust the index off all the terms.
3. write the extra terms separately so that we have all series starting at the same point.

and I get...

that the roots from the indicial equation
[itex]\lambda=\frac{1}{2}(1\pm\sqrt{4a^2+1})[/itex]
and for the recursion I get
[itex]c_n=\frac{c_{n-1}(\lambda+n-1)(\lambda+n-2)-c_{n-2}(\lambda+n-2)}{(\lambda+k)(\lambda+n-1)-\alpha^2}[/itex]

I am not sure how to check if this is correct or not.
Using a number for [itex]\alpha[/itex] I don't get any nice series that has a function.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for the double post, first post was not showing.

What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a type of mathematical equation that describes the relationships between a function and its derivatives.

Why is solving ODEs important?

Solving ODEs allows us to model and understand a wide range of phenomena in science and engineering, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and motion of objects.

What methods are typically used to solve ODEs?

Some common methods for solving ODEs include separation of variables, substitution, and numerical methods such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods.

What are boundary value problems?

Boundary value problems involve finding a solution to an ODE that satisfies certain conditions at specified points. These conditions can be at the endpoints of the interval, or at other points within the interval.

Are there any software programs available for solving ODEs?

Yes, there are many software programs and libraries available for solving ODEs, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and SciPy. These programs use advanced numerical methods to efficiently and accurately solve ODEs.