How do you calculate weekly and weekend prices from given information?

• Thread starter learntheweek
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed solving a problem involving different prices for weekdays and weekends. The conversation provided an example with made-up numbers and explained the steps to solve the problem using the substitution method. The final solution was a weekday price of $17 and a weekend price of $10.
learntheweek
Hey guys,

Quick q that my friend posed and am struggling with.

Imagine that something has a difference price for weekends and for weekdays. Imagine that differnce is x and that the price of weekdays is higher.

Say you know the average price for the month, the number of weekdays and weekend days.

How do you calculate the weekly price and the weekend price from available info?
Thanks alot!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This problem is easily solved via substitution method but as far as I read you need one more constant. If you give the exact numbers that you have it is easier to demonstrate. For examples sake I will make up some numbers. Let's say we know the following: 20 weekdays, 8 weekend days, average price is $15, and the difference in price is $7. You will need to setup 2 equations to solve with substitution. We will assign weekday price as X and weekend price as Y. Here are your 2 equations:
1)(20X+8Y)/28=15. That is 20 weekdays times the weekday price added to 8 weekend days times the weekend price, then divided by 28 total days gives you the avg of 15.
2)X-Y=7. That is weekday price minus weekend price is $7.
Now we substitute. First we change one equation to solve for one variable, let's go with the second. I will add Y to both sides to rewrite the equation as X=7+Y. Now that I have one equation for X I will plug that into the first which will look like this:
[20(7+Y)+8Y]/28=15
Now distribute the 20 and multiply both sides by 28 to get:
140+20Y+8Y=420, then combine like terms to get:
140+28Y=420, then subtract 140 from both sides to get:
28Y=280, then divide both sides by 28 to get:
Y=10. Now you have your weekend price of $10. Plug that into your original 2nd equation to get:
X-10=7, then add 10 to both sides to get:
X=17.
Now you have X=17 and Y=10 which is your weekday and weekend prices.

1. What is the best pricing strategy for my product?

The best pricing strategy for your product depends on various factors such as the market demand, competition, and production costs. Conducting market research and analyzing your target audience can help determine the most effective pricing strategy for your product.

2. How do I determine the right price for my product?

Pricing your product can be challenging, but it is essential to consider your production costs, target market, and competition when determining the right price. You can also test different price points and gather feedback from potential customers to find the optimal price for your product.

3. Should I set my prices higher or lower than my competitors?

The pricing strategy of your competitors is an essential factor to consider when determining your prices. If your product offers unique features or higher quality compared to your competitors, you may be able to set a higher price. However, if your product is similar to what your competitors offer, you may need to set a lower price to remain competitive.

4. How often should I review and adjust my product prices?

It is essential to regularly review and adjust your product prices to stay competitive and maximize profits. Factors such as changes in production costs, market demand, and competitors' prices can influence the need for price adjustments. It is recommended to review your prices at least once a year.

5. What is the difference between cost-based and value-based pricing?

Cost-based pricing involves setting prices based on the production costs of a product, while value-based pricing takes into account the perceived value of the product to customers. Cost-based pricing is more straightforward and commonly used, while value-based pricing can help maximize profits by setting prices based on the value customers place on the product.