Help with Speaker Issues: Static, Volume & More

• Thread starter Hurkyl
  • Start date
In summary, there is a loose connection on one of the speakers that can be fixed by swapping the connections.
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My speakers have done an odd thing for as long as I can remember. Sometimes, they'll play music perfectly fine, but sometimes, unless the volume level is sufficiently high, one or both speakers will crackle, and often play the music at a much reduced volume.

When the volume gets loud enough, they both start playing perfectly again, and usually continue to play perfectly for quite a while when the volume gets soft. (Though sometimes the static comes back immediately)

Often times, moving the speakers around, jiggling the cables, et cetera can cure the static for a little while, but it comes back again.

I'm pretty sure it's not my stereo, despite the fact it has an 8-track player! My speakers had the same problem with my previous system. (They could plug directly into the CD player I had at the time)

Today, I was getting fed up and started fiddling with them again... in the end I simply swapped the connections into the stereo, and voila! No static.

Well, basically my question is this... do I need new speakers, or is there something else that could be causing this problem? Maybe it's the cables? The input on my speakers requires bare wire -- we had to strip the ends off of ordinary cables to hook them up.

Computer science news on Phys.org
My experience is that the volume control (potentiometer) commonly causes problems similar to those you mention.

I had a pair of headphones that needed a little jiggling to remove the static. It was definitely a wiring problem, not the speakers themselves or the input jack.

Is there a way to tell if it's the cables connecting the speakers to the stereo, or the speakers' internal wiring? In either case, is there a reliable way to fix it?

In some cases an ohmmeter can trace down unstable circuits while one "wiggles" their various components.

Your speakers could be plugged directly into a CD player? Does this mean the speakers are internally amplified?

- Warren

I don't think so. It's been a long time since I used my previous CD player, but I guess it did its own amplification.

Sounds like you just have a loose connection, although any exposed wire is not good. The more exposed a wire is, the more subject it is to static interference. Where is the volume control, on the speakers or CD changer? If its on the changer then that's not good, somehom ur changer is getting a signal to decrease the resistance which causes boosts in the volume. If the volume control is on the speakers is most likel a connection issue. If its all on the speakers I'd just open them up, blow any dust out, wipe off any spills or if anything like that occured, and just make sure nothing looks burn out and that all the connections are securely soldered. If none of that fixes it, then the problem is probably in the circuitry in the speakers in which case you'll most likely want to replace them unless you know of a handy EET with a few hours of spare time.

1. Why is there static coming from my speakers?

Static coming from speakers is often caused by a poor connection between the audio source and the speakers. Make sure all cables are securely plugged in and try using a different audio source to see if the static persists.

2. How can I fix low volume from my speakers?

First, check the volume levels on both the audio source and the speakers. If they are both turned up, try adjusting the equalizer settings on the audio source to boost the volume. If the issue persists, it could be a problem with the speakers themselves and they may need to be replaced.

3. My speakers are producing distorted sound, how do I fix this?

Distorted sound can be caused by a variety of factors, including damaged speakers or a faulty audio source. Try testing the speakers with a different audio source to determine if the issue is with the speakers. If the distortion persists, it may be necessary to replace the speakers.

4. How can I improve the sound quality of my speakers?

To improve the sound quality of your speakers, try adjusting the equalizer settings on your audio source to find the optimal balance of bass, mid, and treble. Additionally, make sure the speakers are placed in an ideal location with minimal obstructions and adjust the distance between the speakers and the audio source to reduce interference.

5. What should I do if my speakers are not producing any sound at all?

If your speakers are not producing any sound, first check that they are properly connected to the audio source and that the volume is turned up. If those factors are not the issue, it could be a problem with the speakers themselves. Try testing them with a different audio source or consider seeking professional help for repairs or replacement.