Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with spinner problem

1. Aug 29, 2004 #1
    I just got an ti89 and I have to solve a problem where you have to simulate spinning an 8 sided spiner (numbered 1-8) 100 times and give a visual representation. How can you do that?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write a program. Set up a matrix or 8 variables to store 1...8 in, and put it in a loop that runs 100 times.

Do you know TI-Basic? It's not too hard if you do. I'm not accustomed to the TI-93, unfortunately; it's easy enough to do on my TI-83+.

For a visual, you could graph points to make a basic chart. If you were feeling really creative and had some time and skills, a pie chart would be nice. :tongue:
  4. Sep 2, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know nothing about programming a calculator but I would imagine that you'd have to use some function that serves as a random number generator. Most programming languages have a RANDOM (l,u) function or some such function that does this.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?