How can I simulate spinning an 8-sided spinner 100 times on a TI-89 calculator?

• Thread starter 4assedmonkey
  • Start date
In summary, to solve the problem of simulating spinning an 8-sided spinner 100 times and creating a visual representation, you can write a program using TI-Basic that sets up a matrix or 8 variables to store the numbers 1-8 and runs it in a loop for 100 times. For the visual, you can use points on a chart or a pie chart. This may require using a random number generator function, such as RANDOM (l,u), depending on the programming language used.
4assedmonkey
I just got an ti89 and I have to solve a problem where you have to simulate spinning an 8 sided spiner (numbered 1-8) 100 times and give a visual representation. How can you do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Write a program. Set up a matrix or 8 variables to store 1...8 in, and put it in a loop that runs 100 times.

Do you know TI-Basic? It's not too hard if you do. I'm not accustomed to the TI-93, unfortunately; it's easy enough to do on my TI-83+.

For a visual, you could graph points to make a basic chart. If you were feeling really creative and had some time and skills, a pie chart would be nice. :tongue:

I know nothing about programming a calculator but I would imagine that you'd have to use some function that serves as a random number generator. Most programming languages have a RANDOM (l,u) function or some such function that does this.

1. What is a spinner problem?

A spinner problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves a spinning wheel or dial with different sections or numbers. The goal is to use probability and logic to determine the most likely outcome or solution.

2. How do I solve a spinner problem?

To solve a spinner problem, you should first identify the given information and what you are asked to find. Then, use probability rules and logical reasoning to determine the most likely outcome. Drawing a diagram or using a table can also be helpful in visualizing the problem.

3. Can you provide an example of a spinner problem?

Sure, here's an example: You have a spinner with 8 equal sections, numbered 1-8. What is the probability of landing on a multiple of 3? To solve this, you would first determine the total number of possible outcomes (8). Then, count the number of favorable outcomes (3 and 6) and divide by the total (2/8 = 1/4 or 25%).

4. Are there any tips for solving spinner problems?

Yes, here are a few tips: 1) Read the problem carefully and identify the given information and what you are asked to find. 2) Use probability rules, such as the sum of all possible outcomes being 1 or the probability of an event being the number of favorable outcomes divided by the total number of outcomes. 3) Draw a diagram or use a table to help organize and visualize the problem. 4) Practice and check your work to improve your skills.

5. Can solving spinner problems be useful in real life?

Yes, understanding probability and logical reasoning can be helpful in many real-life situations, such as predicting outcomes in games of chance or making informed decisions based on data. Spinner problems also exercise critical thinking skills and can improve problem-solving abilities in general.